Help me choose early season trip

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Help me choose early season trip

Post by kpeter »

Thank you both for that information. WD's photos have me wondering about my friend's cross country potential and heading for Iceland from Relief.

I have been to Deer and Buck Lakes and found them quite nice--also made it up to the outlet of Long Lake, but missed Wire Lakes. I don't fish so that is not a concern for me. But if Wire and the area on over to Gianelli is kind of meh, then that reinforces my need to look a little higher up I think. I may go somewhere in NW Yosemite or Emigrant on a different earlier trip, but it doesn't look like it is going to work by the middle of June.

Is anyone familiar with the Green Creek trailhead and the Green Lake / West Lake / East Lake complex? Green Lake is at 8900 although the trail crosses the stream several times on the way in. I've never been in that vicinity. It looks like that or Twin Lakes would be a better elevation band, and they have the merits of being places I've never been, but I'm a little uncertain about the stream crossings.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by LMBSGV »

Many years ago, my wife and I did a trip out of Green Creek in early-mid July, doing a loop through East Lake, Summit Lake, Virginia Canyon, Virginia Pass, and Green Lake. None of the crossings were an issue. Our only problems were horrendous mosquitoes at East Lake and Green Lake and a steep snowfield below Virginia Pass, which required side stepping down (this was before microspikes). My wife, son, and I also did a trip out of Virginia Lakes in late June to Virginia Canyon and did not have any problems.

If you haven’t been there, I highly recommend it. It’s gorgeous and quite unique geologically. Summit Lake has great campsites and wonderful views.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Beautiful area with lots if lakes to explore,once the road opens. And you can do a bit of a loop if you navigate over from upper Virginia Canyon back to Green Lake--the trail is sketchy.

We have a trip report on our website, if you're interested...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963