Mono Divide Loop questions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Phiker
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Mono Divide Loop questions

Post by Phiker »

I'm planning a trip this summer out of Mosquito Flat: Mono Pass to JMT/Lake Thomas Edison to Italy Pass & Pine Creek and loop around the Little Lakes Valley back to Mosquito Flat. Having Never explored that area before (except both extremities: between Mosquito Flat and Mono Pass and between Mosquito Flat and Long Lake), would it be better to hike that loop clockwise or counter clockwise?

Right now, my Day 3 itinerary has me climbing out of the JMT/Bear Creek junction, 3000 ft. up to Italy Pass and down the East side to Honeymoon lake. This stretch doesn't seem so brutal when hiking East to West over Italy Pass. Right now, I'm shooting for 5 days to complete this loop.

Breakdown:
Day 1: Mosquito Flat to Fourth Recess Lake (7.5 mi.)
Day 2: Fourth Recess Lake to Bear Creek/JMT junction (16.7 mi.)
Day 3: Bear Creek to Honeymoon Lake (12.2 mi.)
Day 4: Honeymoon Lake to Lower Morgan Lake (12.7 mi.)
Day 5: Lower Morgan Lake to Mosquito Flat (5.1 mi.)

Any suggestions? Changes to itinerary? Side trips worth the extra miles? Best camp spots along the way?

Any help/ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mono Divide Loop questions

Post by maverick »

May I ask why you want to do this specific loop?
You are zooming past some of the most fabulous Sierra backcountry, Pioneer Basin & Hopkins Lakes, Lower & Upper Mills Creek Lakes, Grinnell Lakes & Laurel Lakes, Vee Lakes & Bear Lakes Basin, Humphreys Basin, Royce Lakes & Granite Park, a few that just come to mind, each one of these location can easily be 5 day destination locations. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Phiker
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Phiker »

I've had that loop on my mind for a couple of years, not sure why... Probably because it is mostly unexplored terrain for me. And honestly, your response is exactly what I was hoping for. Besides Humphreys Basin, I haven't been in any other location you mention. I will look more closely at your recommendations. I am going with 2-3 friends and none of us have cross country experience or extensive route finding skills, I am not against going off trail as long as it is easy to navigate (e.g. Humpreys Basin).
steiny98
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by steiny98 »

I did both Pioneer Basin and Bear Lakes Basin/Granite Park. All are must see places in my opinion, especially if you like wide open canyons with lakes.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

The part of your loop that raises the most questions for me is completing the loop--Honeymoon Lake to Lower Morgan Lake. I've been up to Honeymoon from the Pine Creek trailhead several times, passing by the Tungsten Mine and looking over at the mining road that zig zags up the barren hill to Lower Morgan Lake, and it does not look inviting. I have been over Morgan Pass from Little Lakes valley and come down to Lower Morgan Lake from above, and it was an interesting dayhike but not exactly a blue ribbon destination--hiking on a road that was used as recently as WWII to deliver miners to the top of the mine.

I do like the feeling of accomplishment and adventure that comes from completing a loop, so I understand what you are trying to do. I've walked on roads to complete loops before too. But be aware that you will be spending a portion of your time on a pretty uninteresting and unpleasant stretch while you will be bypassing some spectacular country. It might be than an in-and-out will give you a better experience, depending on your priorities.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Just the Mono Creek area alone gives you plenty to do, after spending a night at Fourth Recess, you can use the trail that goes up to Lake 10862 in Pioneer basin, and base camp from there, exploring the rest of the basin. Hopkins Lakes Basin has a trail that goes all the way up to the upper lake, but it is the lower lake that you want to visit. Laurel and Grinnell Lakes have trail leading to them, a beautiful magical place!
Lower and Upper Mills Creek Lakes is the one, in that area, that only has a trail that leads in only part of the way, creek junction, and requires crosscountry travel from there on to reach the lakes.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org