TR: North Lake/South Lake via Lamarck Col

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
timachine
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

TR: North Lake/South Lake via Lamarck Col

Post by timachine »

August 31st - September 4th

I have some experience backpacking and have done the JMT back in 2011 and other numerous other smaller trips. However, I have never done any cross country travel and was nervous to be taking my brother on his first backpacking trip while trying a cross country route. I knew this was going to be strenuous so I was hesitant to be exposing my brother to a trip this difficult but I knew he could handle it, even if begrudgingly at times.

August 31st - Trailhead to North Lake

We didn't reserve permits ahead of time so we showed up in Lone Pine to draw from the lottery to get our permits. Luckily, there were only a few parties on a Thursday morning so we didn't have any trouble getting the North Lake permit. While waiting I was looking through the hiking books, I found trail description and Lamarck Col photo beta that proved to be really helpful while I was navigating since I was still hazy in regards to the route from what I had read.

Fast forward to the Mountain Rambler in Bishop, we met this guy living out of his van that was bagging 14'ers. His name was Bond, Vagabond. Funny and interesting guy, also my brother's first exposure to the eclectic personalities you can meet while in the mountains. After drinking a Hell for Sure (really good beer), we head up to trailhead to get started. Right off the bat, when we're crossing the bridge after the turn off to the North Lake trailhead my brother is remarking this is the most beautiful scenery he's seen. I knew he was in for a treat with what was coming. We finally start off in the late afternoon and make it up to North Lake and decide to set up camp in the early evening since a thunderstorm is coming. Its starting to rain lightly, thunder is rumbling close by and lightning is flashing. We get our tents set up just in time as it's truly starting to rain. Unfortunately, my brother didn't practice setting up his tent and has a constant leak most of the night. I give him my little micro fiber towel to help dry the water up. A rough time for my brothers first night in the mountains.

view starting out on the North Lake trailhead

September 1st - North Lake to Darwin Bench

We start out in the morning after my brother dries off and soaks in the sun for a bit. After continually referencing the trail description and photo beta to make sure we're on track, we make it to Lamarck Col. I'm again impressed how it seems like approaches to passes never end. We arrive in the afternoon, when the snow is soft and the traverse is safe. My brother is a little sketched out by the snow and the tiny bit of scrambling to make it the Col but he handles it well.

Lamarck Col

It was rewarding to take in the view of Darwin Canyon and Darwin Bench just beyond. I had read an article in the summer 2017 edition of California Climber about the history of Evolution Valley, Peter Croft's climbing of the Evolution Traverse, and the story that's documented about the efforts of a group of climbers to complete the Evolution Traverse. I found the pictures and the story to be powerful and after reading it, I had such a strong urge to be in that place to view Darwin Canyon while feeling small in the grandeur of the mountains. It was a real treat to be on top the Col and to be able to show my brother the beauty of the Sierra's for his first time.

Its slow going making our way down to the lakes and traversing along side them on our way to Darwin Bench. My brother isn't comfortable with all the boulder scrambling but eventually we make it to the bench. During our way down he says his first marmot which he liked. Darwin Bench is amazing, my brother says it was the most beautiful place he'd ever seen. Which was cool to hear. Apparently at some point during this stretch, I jogged across a snow bridge large enough for someone to stand in. My brother told me afterward that he tried yelling over to me but I was oblivious. Luckily, the snow bridge held and it's just a funny story now. We finally set up our tents near the drop off into Evolution Valley. My brother is toast after a long day but the view is gorgeous and it's hard to complain.

September 2nd - Darwin Bench to Le Conte Canyon

Another long day that takes it out of my brother. After meeting up with the JMT, I was super excited to be in Evolution Valley. It had been six years since I was here last. I have super fond memories of Wanda Lake in 2011 being half frozen over in early August, watching the stars at Wanda Lake and having a good time with one my best friends. I was surprised how mellow the trail is up to Muir Pass. I really love this portion of the JMT.

September 3rd - Le Conte Canyon to South Lake Trailhead

I stopped taking pictures at this point. Again I was impressed by the never ending approach to Bishop Pass. One foot in front of the other for what seemed like a long time. The views back west once you are in Dusy Basin are amazing. Eventually we make it down to the trailhead. Looking back at Bishop Pass, it was covered in dark clouds, rain and lightning. We had made it down just in time. We stop for one more beer at the Mountain Rambler and it's back to the city. My brother always talks about our trip now. Even though it was a struggle for him while we were doing it. That's usually how it goes with these types of trips in my experience.
Last edited by timachine on Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: North Lake/South Lake via Lamarck Col

Post by rlown »

Nice TR! Thanks for sharing. I'm waiting for ice out this year. We'll see.
Dmasten
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: North Lake/South Lake via Lamarck Col

Post by Dmasten »

Sweet! I love Darwin Bench and Evolution Valley.
You mentioned this was your first cross country trip - how did you find it? Was it a good first?