Bubb’s/East Lake/Brewer/Sphinx Loop questions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Bubb’s/East Lake/Brewer/Sphinx Loop questions

Post by LMBSGV »

I have a permit for doing the Bubb’s Creek, East Lake, Brewer Basin, Sphinx Basin loop in August. There are lots of HST trip reports, the cross country passes section, and non-HST internet sources about this hike. However, I do have a few questions regarding specific details. Any insights and information people can pass on will be appreciated.

1: Ten years ago, I would plan on going all the way to East Lake the first day, but getting older has its consequences. If possible. I would prefer to avoid camping with the Rae Lakes loop crowds at Charlotte Creek and Junction Meadow. Are there campsites on Bubb’s Creek between Charlotte Creek and Junction Meadow?

2: Is negotiating the log jam at the southern end of East Lake the optimum way to get to the Ouzel Creek side of the lake? My aging balance is no longer trustworthy so I’ll probably wade the creek rather than doing the logs. Is it easier to wade the creek at the Reflection trail end of East Lake to get to the Ouzel Creek outlet or should I simply wade the creek near the log jam?

3: The trip reports I read recommend staying on the north side of Ouzel Creek to avoid the brush along the creek and cliff outs while climbing to Brewer Pass at the ridge. Is that correct? I will not be summitting Brewer. Instead, I will go over Brewer Pass to Cinder Col (thanks, Rogue, for the post on Cinder) and from there down to Big Brewer Lake to camp near the outlet.

4. I was curious about campsite suggestions in Sphinx Basin. I was thinking of camping somewhere between lakes 10,546 and 10,514 for photo opportunities across the water of the Brewer crest.

5. Is descending the west side of Sphinx Creek the best route to reach the Avalanche Pass trail?

Thanks.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Bubb’s/East Lake/Brewer/Sphinx Loop questions

Post by maverick »

Don't know how flexible you are with your time, staying at Vidette Meadow and hiking up to the Vidette Lakes is worth doing.
Or you could also hike a little west of the Junction Meadow and the bear boxes, and get some solitude using your bear canister.

May I ask why your choosing Brewer Pass over Longley Pass? The area under the Longley Pass pass is quite pretty, makes for some excellent sunrise opportunities.

There are plenty of camp spots around those lakes in Sphinx Basin, Lake 10514 is perfect for the reflection of North Guard at sunset.

Would recommend descend the creek from the last lake in the basin on its eastern side, then cross over to the western side a little lower, and then back onto the eastern side for the final descent to the trail, there is a good campsite at the creek and trail junction, there are also some small sites near the start of the descent of the granite stairs, make sure your knees and quads are fresh before descending. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

If you are trying to get to East Lake, then I recommend picking up your permit the day before, and then starting at Roads End very early, like 5:00 or 6:00 a.m. It is cool at that time, so you should be crossing Bubbs Creek to go up to East Lake around lunch time. I camped at the south end of East Lake one time, but then I went around the north end to ascend the ridge toward Brewer. At the last time that I went this way, I reached Reflection Lake by 3:00 p.m. That was partially because the Bubbs Creek crossing was easy (1 foot of water). On some years, the water is so high that it is up to the belly of a tall horse.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Mav, thanks for the reply and the Sphinx suggestions,

I’m choosing Brewer over Longley because, 1. it’s a shorter, more direct route. 2. I spent 2 nights at Lake Reflection a few years ago (it was fabulous–I was the only person there) and the approach to Longley is through Reflection. The route finding on the approach to Longley sounds problematic from the trip reports versus Ouzel Creek seems straightforward if one avoids the cliff outs. 3. Longley itself is “steep sand” and there may be a cornice. I really hate climbing steep sand and would prefer not to deal with a cornice.

Bobby, I will be 67 years old. As I said, 10 years ago doing East Lake on the first day would be simple. Now it isn't so I don't plan on doing more than 8 to 10 miles in a day no matter how early I start. I don't worry about the Bubb's crossing. The last time I did it during a normal snow year in late July and it was a routine wade.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
kursavwilage
Topix Acquainted

Post by kursavwilage »

I would have to agree with bobby49 , my strategy for getting to East lake in one day involves starting around 0400 to avoid as much heat of the day in the Bubb's Creek trail and then take about a 2 hour nap/break at Junction Meadow before the final push up to East lake. I have hiked to East Lake 7 times and each time except once we made it in one day. The exception was because the partner that went wasn't up to the task. I have never been to Brewer pass but, have climbed Mt Brewer 2 times and both times we approached Ouzel Creek from the south because we camped at the south end of East Lake. I also would have agree with maverick on Longley pass, The scenery at Lake Reflection and the surrounding mountains is awe inspiring. The route to Longley Pass from Reflection is pretty rugged with quite a few ledges to negotiate and a possible cornice on the actual pass but, in my opinion worth it because of the beauty. Longley's cornice if there is one present can be easily by-passed just north of the pass on the class 2-3 rocks.....
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

LMBSGV wrote:
Bobby, I will be 67 years old. As I said, 10 years ago doing East Lake on the first day would be simple. Now it isn't so I don't plan on doing more than 8 to 10 miles in a day no matter how early I start. I don't worry about the Bubb's crossing. The last time I did it during a normal snow year in late July and it was a routine wade.
67? You're just a pup. I try not to do more than 20 miles in a day, but I start very early.

It's not how old you are that counts. It's how old you think you are.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Well...one thing I've learned over the past ten years is that if I don't treat my aging body with respect, it will punish me. like LMBSGV I now hike fewer miles per day, and my activities are more in the endurance and cardio area, rather than explosive muscle area. Even when it comes to age, we should still encourage people to HYOH.

On the other hand, I've also gotten smarter. I carry less weight, and I pick and choose most of my struggles. And now that I am retired, I can hike off-season and mid-week, leaving the weekends and peak seasons for young people who want to try and finish a massive hike as quickly as possible to say that they have done it...grin.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

67? You're just a pup. I try not to do more than 20 miles in a day, but I start very early.

It's not how old you are that counts. It's how old you think you are.
:lol:

Wish that was true, but no matter what you do, your body ages, recover times get longer, parts wear out, prior accidents and illness affect ones abilities. You can think that in your 20's all you want, but if you have arthritis in the knees, back, or shoulders, a bum knee/knees from prior injuries, low back issues, or other ailments, you need to know your bodies limits and plan accordingly, otherwise you can get yourself in trouble, especially going solo.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Come on guys, he says he does not want to walk all the way to East Lake the first day. Offer some campsites, rather than shaming him into doing something stupid. My strategy for trips from Roads End is to drive down (5 hour drive), pick up my permit, and then walk into Sphinx Creek trial junction. This works well for me because I can then also avoid the car camping hassles. There are campsites on the opposite side, across the bridge, that are not crowded. The next day's walk to East Lake is then very manageable.

You can find sheltered camspites (some trees) at the lower Sphinx Lake, but the views are cut off by the closeby ridge. There is fair fishing in this lake. The middle lake, left of the main drainage has good views and flat campsites but no shelter from wind. You have to do a short side walk to get to this lake. The next lake up, on the drainage, in my opinion does not offer any better view. The valley however is very green and lush and full of wildflowers, so camping along the stream below this upper lake is quite pleasant even if not on the water.

Seriously, since you are so close, the absolutely most scenic campsite is on Big Brewer Lake. I would go there instead of Sphinx Lakes. There are lots of really great campsites, in trees, near the outlet. This lake and location is well known for its fantastic sunsets and alpenglow. But you do have to drop down a ways (about 300-400 feet) and then climb back up to get back on the flat in Brewer Basin. If possible add a day and camp at both Big Brewer Lake and Sphinx Lakes.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Seriously, since you are so close, the absolutely most scenic campsite is on Big Brewer Lake. I would go there instead of Sphinx Lakes. There are lots of really great campsites, in trees, near the outlet. This lake and location is well known for its fantastic sunsets and alpenglow. But you do have to drop down a ways (about 300-400 feet) and then climb back up to get back on the flat in Brewer Basin. If possible add a day and camp at both Big Brewer Lake and Sphinx Lakes.
WD,
OP said he was planning on visiting Brewer Basin, he was planning on doing the loop via East Lake>Brewer>Sphinx
I have a permit for doing the Bubb’s Creek, East Lake, Brewer Basin, Sphinx Basin loop in August.