Info Wanted - Tehipite 8/31 - 9/9

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Info Wanted - Tehipite 8/31 - 9/9

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Sorry, but I am confused regarding what you asked about. Do you mean dropping directly to Simpson Meadow from Horseshoe Lakes?

The trail shown on the 7.5 USGS map is fair between the 10,400 foot contour on the north branch all the way past States Lakes and down to intersect the main trail at Dougherty Meadows. At 10,400 on the north branch, I cut over to Horseshoe Lakes. The trail looked like it still continued down the ridge to BM 9422, but I did continue on it. Horseshoe Lakes are part of SHR.

In general, I do not try to short-cut unless I can gain a lot of time or miles. I would take the north branch of the States Lake trail to 10,400 and then cut across. Or if you mean from Horseshoe Lake to Simpson Meadow, I would backtrack to that trail.
limpingcrab
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by limpingcrab »

- Do you see any issues with this itinerary: https://caltopo.com/m/CND5
Nope
- Should we explore explore the upper reaches of the valley, either up to the Devil's Washbowl or up Goddard Creek?
I think the stuff on, or just off of, your proposed route will be just as interesting as DW or GC, if it were me I wouldn't backtrack there. If you want to take some time to scramble then poke around up Crystal Creek. Three points of contact up there!
- Should we take two cars, or is it reasonable to think we can hitch hike from Yucca Point back to Roads End?
Should be an easy hitch with one car.
- How many days of the 9 would you use to explore the high country around the Monarch Divide, and how many would you use to fish and swim in the valley? I have another itenerary for extensive off trail exploration of the N side of the Monarch Divide, and this trip was thought of as focused on fishing the valley...
I love the lakes around Slide Peak, but I could also spend a whole summer hanging and fishing in Tehipite so I'd enjoy either.
- Where would you camp?
Wherever I got tired (I'm not good at planning campsites ahead of time). If I have to plan I base it on photography or fishing.
- Has anyone cut over to the Horseshoe Lakes, NE of the trail down to Simpson Meadow?
I think you'd lose time and energy in the long run compared to coming back to the main trail. Might be a fun exploration though!
- Which are your favorite lakes around Granite Pass, for scenery, and for fishing?
Granite Lake will be fun with the tenkara, millions of starving brookies. The further down the drainage you go, the bigger the fish get. I heard Lake of the Fallen Moon has nice trout but haven't tried it.
- Where are the petroglyphs?
Not suitable info for an online post, but if you find the right map they're marked.
- Where would you spend a layover day?
Tehipite Valley (for the fishing)
- My friend and I both have tenkara setups, and I have a UL Spinning rig. I'll bring both. What do you recommend in terms of tackle and flies?
That time of year on the MF of the Kings the best nymph will probably be a Copper John, with GR Hare's Ear and BH Pheasant tail tied for second (size 14-16ish). Best dries should be Parachute Adams and Elk Hair Caddis (yellow body if you have the choice) (both size 12-14ish). Everything will probably catch you a fish eventually.
- Should I expect the valley floor to be warm at night, since it's such a low elevation, or should I expect it to be freezing, because of all the cold air flowing down from above?
Obviously depends on the weather at the time, but basically warm. I've never brought a tent and been fine with a 30 degree bag on a lightweight pad.
- Gear recommendations? What would you bring/leave at home on this trip? [I have just purchased a ULA Epic backpack and these very exciting sounding shoes, the Astral TR1 Trek (amphibious trail runner style shoes with rubber that grips when wet]
Go as absolutely light as possible since you'll be rock hopping and swimming for hours on end for the last several days of the trip. Good call with those shoes. Trekking poles would be nice if you'll be mostly hiking down the river but they'll just be extra weight if you'll have a rod in your hand the whole time.
- Friend and I both have TT Notch. At this time of year, would you bring the inner? Mosquitos should be gone, but there are blackflies and rattlers...
I don't usually bring a tent so take my opinion with a grain of salt. If you're camping at river level the flies will leave you alone but there are a lot of bugs crawling around in TV. Rattlers shouldn't be out by the time you go to bed.
If one of us gets bit by a snake, is it possible we walk out or should we just call a helicopter at that point (I carry a delorme)
Sit and wait. If there's no terrible pain after 30 minutes you're good. If there is terrible pain and it were me I'd call the helo and drink as much water as I possible could and keep the bite as low as possible. Deaths, to healthy adults, from the rattlers around here are extremely rare, but permanent tissue damage is a real possibility.

Everything above is just my opinion, and my opinion is often terrible :derp:
Asolthane
Topix Regular

Post by Asolthane »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Sorry, but I am confused regarding what you asked about. Do you mean dropping directly to Simpson Meadow from Horseshoe Lakes?

The trail shown on the 7.5 USGS map is fair between the 10,400 foot contour on the north branch all the way past States Lakes and down to intersect the main trail at Dougherty Meadows. At 10,400 on the north branch, I cut over to Horseshoe Lakes. The trail looked like it still continued down the ridge to BM 9422, but I did continue on it. Horseshoe Lakes are part of SHR.

In general, I do not try to short-cut unless I can gain a lot of time or miles. I would take the north branch of the States Lake trail to 10,400 and then cut across. Or if you mean from Horseshoe Lake to Simpson Meadow, I would backtrack to that trail.
I am just asking if the Horseshoe Lakes are a nice place to spend a night. Was thinking we would jog over and then back to the trail before heading down to Simpson Meadows.
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Asolthane wrote:I am just asking if the Horseshoe Lakes are a nice place to spend a night. Was thinking we would jog over and then back to the trail before heading down to Simpson Meadows.
Yes. There can be lots of mosquitos in places though -- just be mindful of that and pick a campsite. They have a little smaller (and more wooded) feel to them that the State Lakes or Glacier Lakes. The 1st State Lake (south most) is very cool also (IMHO).