Question about Cartridge Creek

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Question about Cartridge Creek

Post by Mike M. »

Here are some photos of the Cartridge Pass route from Triple Falls to the junction with the Simpson Meadow trail.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

More photos
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Wandering Daisy wrote:I expected Cartridge Creek to be overgrown and the trail gone for all practical purposes. I figured it would take an entire day to go down and more than a day to go up. So do you think it compares to Enchanted Gorge?
It has been almost 30 years since I hiked up the Cartridge Creek trail. Back then, there were a couple of dense sections of overgrowth we had to plow through near Triple Falls. Other than that, the path is steep, but it was in pristine shape where it was built over bedrock. See: http://www.sierrahiker.com/Courtright-C ... index.html
The trail is nothing like the Enchanted Gorge which, as you know, contains no path or even hints of one. It's just a steep old sketchy trail overgrown here and there.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Thanks for the information and photos! I would have to do this trip either before 4th of July or after Sept 10, because the rest of the summer I will be in Wyoming. Did you have to cross Cartridge Creek at any time, and if so, would that be possible in last week of June?

My major destination is Lakes Basin. Although I have been there three times, I just quickly passed through. This time I want to at least layover a day. Other exit options are to loop via Cartridge Pass down Muro Blanco (this definitely would be late fall trip), or all trail exit via Pinchot Pass (which I have never seen) down Woods Creek, or a loop from the east side, using Taboose and Sawmill passes. Obviously I would miss the Monarch Divide, Volcanic Lakes and Middle Fork to Simpson Meadow. I would however not feel bad about skipping the trail from Simpson Meadow back up to Granite Pass- that sounds miserable. When I did the SHR I reached Lakes Basin on the third day from Copper Creek TH. When I went up Taboose, I also made it to Lakes Basin early on the third day, with a stop-over at the lakes below Striped Mtn. I do not want to exceed 10 days for the total trip, preferably 8-9 days.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Thanks for the information and photos! I would have to do this trip either before 4th of July or after Sept 10, because the rest of the summer I will be in Wyoming. Did you have to cross Cartridge Creek at any time, and if so, would that be possible in last week of June?
Cartridge Creek didn't impress me as difficult to cross. I'm sure we crossed it a few times but it wasn't that big.
Lake Basin is one of those places where it would be easy to spend a lot of time. You could say that for all of KCNP north of the Monarch Divide and to the south as well. There are so many opportunities for cross country travel and exploring abandoned trails.
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

I would have to do this trip either before 4th of July or after Sept 10, because the rest of the summer I will be in Wyoming. Did you have to cross Cartridge Creek at any time, and if so, would that be possible in last week of June?
WD, I think crossing the creek back and forth in early season (before mid-July) could be an issue any normal year -- at least before you reach the upper basin. In September it can be easily crossed (or walked in, as I did).

Muro Blanco, as you know, is another classic bushwhack. I went down Muro Blanco once in the mid-80's in early September and crossed from one side of the river to the other several times to avoid difficult terrain. The upper portion was gorgeous in places but lower down it is very closed in (forest cover, can't see much of anything) and just a trudge. Not worth doing again. Muro Blanco is not as hard as the lower portion of the Cartridge Creek "trail," in my opinion.

Mike
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Daisy,
Like you, I've contemplated Cartridge creek and the old JMT and wondered what it'd be like to go down it (at least once). The photos Mike posted were super and gave a great feel for what to expect. So, are you still thinking of giving this a whirl, or have other routes taken priority? It looks like you could get pretty well lost back in there!
Cameron
johnz
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by johnz »

Cameron,

Two buddies and I went down the old JMT trail from Triple Falls down to MF Kings two years ago. Here is the trip report with some photos

viewtopic.php?t=20315

We just finished another trip during which we descended from the little lake in the basin high above Cartridge Creek (across the ridge from Island Bird Lake) down to the trail. Like last time, it was quite the bushwhack. The trail has basically become a game trail with bear scat everywhere. I'll write up a trip report soon...

John
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi john,
Yes, I greatly enjoyed your TR from a couple years ago; am looking forward to the next installment! I have a buddy who regularly comes out in August from the DC area, so I'm well aware the challenge of acclimating to the time and elevation change after a long trip in an aluminum tube (even when they are on time!). Cameron