Goodale Pass to Iva Bell and back through Cascade Valley

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
betsyp
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Goodale Pass to Iva Bell and back through Cascade Valley

Post by betsyp »

I have never been to Iva Bell and want to go there this September, but I want to avoid the Mammoth crowds. Does anyone know how the route is from Goodale Pass? This would mean going along Minnow Creek Trail to Fish Creek Trail. After Iva Bell, rather than going north toward Mammoth I would like to head south along Cascade Valley and then back to Goodale. I can’t find much info on this route. All I know is that there might be some rough spots. Would love to hear any insights or suggestions. Betsy
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Goodale Pass to Iva Bell and back through Cascade Valley

Post by maverick »

Hi Betsyp,

Welcome to HST!
Please read: http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... f=1&t=4205
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I suspect that the trail is there, but in bad shape generally. Because it is a less popular trail, and with budget cuts the more popular trails are the ones getting all the maintenance. There could be a million trees down, there could be a few. I was at Iva Bell a few years back and spoke to someone who had come in that way but he indicated that it was not so great a trail... but there are a lot more dead trees than there used to be, and they have been falling more and more.

You'll only deal with crowds as far as the turnoff to the falls near Devil's Postpile - if you are starting at Reds Meadow. Not sure how it would be on the lakes trailhead to Duck Pass. I think we only saw a few people on the trail between Fish Creek and Reds after leaving the day hikers behind.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

I started my 15 day hike in 2017 by going from Horseshoe Lake to Iva Belle on Day 1. I saw less than 10 people other than a trail crew on the way to Fish Creek trail. I did not take the Cascade Valley Trail from Iva Belle, but I did go over Goodale Pass headed towards VVR. Going up along Shark Tooth, past Lost Keyes Lake, Wilbur May Lake, etc. was beautiful and the trail was in great condition.
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

I hiked Reds Meadow --> Iva Bell --> Grassy Lake --> Tully Hole --> Duck Pass in 2016. Here's the route I took: https://caltopo.com/m/DPSK and here are photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99703682@ ... 9185052561

I saw zero people in the time between Iva Bell and Lake of the Lone Indian. The trail that follows the shelf above Cascade Valley is in good shape. I had planned to go to Peter Pande Lake but had trouble finding the spur trail to it and was alone, so I camped at Grassy Lake instead. I remember seeing signage for the Minnow Lake trail but as others have noted I'd expect that the spur trail is there but probably faint and unmaintained.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love