Running Out Of Food

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Running Out Of Food

Post by wildhiker »

The only time I ran out of food while backpacking is when the bear got it!

My girlfriend (since wife of 40 years) and I were visiting her family in LA for Thanksgiving 1977. Oldtimers may recall that this was at the end of the driest year ever in California. Anyway, a couple of days of relatives was enough so we left and decided to do something at Sequoia Park on the way back to the Bay Area. We got there in time to start hiking the HST from Crescent Meadow at 4 pm. We kept going in the dark by moonlight for awhile before finding a spot to camp. The next day, we made it to Bearpaw Meadow, setup camp, and explored a bit further up the trail.

In my youthful naivete, I figured that since it was the end of November, the bears would be hibernating, right? So no need to string up the food (this was way before bear canisters). Instead, I just left the food bag between some logs next to our campsite, where we were sleeping out with no tent. Sometime in the middle of the night, I heard some noises that woke me. I just caught sight of a couple of small bears taking off; one of them had my food bag in his jaws. Damn! I thought. I'd better go after them. I drug myself up and put on some clothes and went looking for the bears. They didn't go far before sitting down for their snack. They ran off when I came up with my flashlight and loud voice yelling. But the damage had been done. All that was left was one slice of bread and a small handful - maybe 1/3 cup - of raisins.
I retrieved the remains of the food bag and managed to hang my precious remaining calories in a tree. No more bears that night.

The next day, we had to hike out the 12 miles back to Crescent Meadow with just the slice of bread and a few raisins to split between us. We walked fast.

-Phil
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Wildhiker wrote:
Damn! I thought. I'd better go after them. I drug myself up and put on some clothes and went looking for the bears.
I used to drug myself up too in the 70's. I'm not sure what sort of drug you would use for chasing bears in the dark of night Phil? "Shrooms?"
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I'm not sure what sort of drug you would use for chasing bears in the dark of night Phil? "Shrooms?"
Maybe past tense for "drag" Harlen.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

He "drug" himself out of the sleeping bag. It really is that simple. Could have said dragged or leapt. Doesn't matter.
If there is a bear outside that needs some 'friendly' advice to leave, I don't bother with clothes. Doesn't take that long to chase away a bear.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

Harlen knew darn well that I was using "drug myself" as a slang for "dragged myself". But I appreciate his humor!
-Phil
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Mav wrote:
Maybe past tense for "drag" Harlen.

There we are- I knew there had to be an explanation. Thanks Mav, I've regained my high regard for Wildhiker. :)
Now as for rlown chasing bears into the night buck naked- well, I just don't know what to think?! Russ, I hope you were carrying, or at least holding onto something to protect yourself.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I do wear my undies. I carry rocks for the bears.