TR: Yosemite Valley to Clouds Rest, April 20-22, 2018

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Flamingo
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Yosemite Valley to Clouds Rest, April 20-22, 2018

Post by Flamingo »

Hi All,
Here's my trip report on an early season weekend trip up Clouds Rest from Happy Isles Trailhead. We base camped in Little Yosemite Valley. My buddy Albert joined me. I posted snow conditions, photos, and my story below.

Snow Conditions:
The snow-line was at 8900’ on southern-facing slopes. On northern-facing slopes, the snow-line was around 7200’. Overall, I found the snow was condensed and easy to walk over with microspikes.

Thursday April 19:
We departed Oakland at 7pm, drove up Highway 120, and camped along Evergreen Road. The sky was clear and I initially slept outside cowboy-style under the stars. I later awoke shivering. A freezing fog poured into the valley; ice crystals filled the night air and sparkled in the moonlight. It was a magical sight, but it was also too cold for me to sleep outside. I climbed into the back of our SUV and quickly returned to sleep. Albert, in his tent, snoozed through it all.

Friday April 20:
We awoke to clear skies and bird song. We drove into the national park, well ahead of traffic, and easily found parking at the Happy Isles trailhead. While we sorted our gear, a parade of vehicles filled the parking lot. I’m glad we arrived early!

We started hiking at 10:00 and slowly climbed the Mist Trail. I’ve never been up this route (rather, I’ve always taken the JMT). It was thrilling to walk near Vernal Falls, but the trail sometimes felt claustrophobic with the crowds passing, especially on the narrow sections. True to advertising, the amount of mist was incredible; water pooled on our backpacks and dripped down our jackets and soaked our shoes. We ate lunch above Vernal Falls, dried our gear in the sun, and fell asleep like lizards on warm granite.

Later in the afternoon, we continued up the mist trail. I appreciated the forest shade along the upper switchbacks. Above Nevada Falls, the crowds disappeared. I finally felt like we arrived in the backcountry. We soon reached Little Yosemite Valley and pitched camp.

In the evening, we hiked further along the Merced River and explored a bit. The forest here burned (in 2014?), and I am impressed with the recovery four years later. The forest floor is now sprouting native grass, wildflowers, baby juniper, and pine. Woodpeckers hammered at the charcoal stags, and a chorus of frogs filled the meadow.

The sun sunk below Half Dome and the temperature dropped. Wood was abundant and we built a small fire. We warmed ourselves by the flames, ate hot noodles, and drank tea. We listened to the frogs. It was practically perfect.

Saturday April 21:
It was a slow morning. We drank tea, reviewed maps, enjoyed the abundant bird song, and finally — at 10:30 am — we decided to climb Clouds Rest. The climb was uneventful. We passed a few other groups, but they all turned left at the trail junction towards Half Dome. (Question: the Half Dome cables are still down for the season, why are all these people headed to Half Dome?).

We reached snow at 8,900’ and strapped on microspikes. The snow was condensed and overall easy to walk across. I post-holed once. We followed good foot prints up southern slopes, and two descending parties passed us in good spirits. They smiled and reassured us the summit could be reached.

200 feet below the summit, I was relieved to find the granite stairs snow-free. I removed my microspikes and I cruised to the top in my running shoes. On the summit, there were patches of open flat-top granite alongside deep snow drifts. The NE ridge route (i.e., from Tenaya Lake) looked like a knife edge of snow and that route seemed dangerous, to say the least.

This was my 9th summit of Clouds Rest. The views were spectacular, as usual. It was a treat to see the Sierra Crest covered in snow. Down in the valley, spring runoff drenched the domes and cliffs; the granite walls shined like glass in the afternoon sun. We celebrated our summit with instant coffee, cheese, and salami. Another hiker joined us, and he explained his plans to sleep overnight on the summit. It sounded like a very cold idea to me, but he seemed to have all the necessary layers and bivy gear. We wished him luck and then we started our descent.

After many switchbacks, and several hours, we returned to Little Yosemite Valley and found a dozen new groups had arrived in camp. We enjoyed another night beside a fire under the stars. Even with the crowds, LYV was relatively quiet and chill.

Sunday April 22:
We enjoyed a quick breakfast: hot tea, dried fruit, and energy bars. After some campsite L.N.T. cleanup, we collected our gear and started the descent to Happy Isles. The hiking was uneventful. We avoided the drenching on the Mist Trail, and instead we climbed the cutoff to Clark Point and then descended via the JMT. My knees appreciated this gentle grade compared to steep stairs on the Mist Trail.

Back at the footbridge, we passed literally hundreds of day hikers, seemingly from all walks of life. Rather than complain about the crowds, I’ve come to realize that I'm one of them too. Yosemite is a natural wonder of the world, and I feel lucky that I am physically able to transcend the crowds and climb to world-class vistas like Clouds Rest in just one weekend.
DSC09757.jpg
DSC09767.jpg
DSC09774.jpg
DSC09810.jpg
DSC09813.jpg
DSC09819.jpg
DSC09827.jpg
DSC09831.jpg
DSC09836.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Flamingo on Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:05 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Re: TR: Yosemite Valley to Clouds Rest, April 20-22, 2018

Post by Flamingo »

More photos. . .
DSC09876.jpg
DSC09882.jpg
DSC09902.jpg
DSC09931.jpg
DSC09937.jpg
DSC09946.jpg
DSC09954.jpg
DSC09971.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Flamingo on Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Thanks for the report! Great photos. Evidently there was a big Earth Day event in Yosemite Valley Sunday so may be more crowds than usual weekend this time of year. I am waiting to go when the dogwoods are out. Did you see any trees ready to bloom?
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

@WanderingDaisy I didn't see any dogwood blossoms yet, but I wasn't especially looking for them. Isn't that usually a May thing?
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

Thanks for the report and photos! Gets me thinking about summer trips!
-Phil
jeremiahkim
Topix Regular

Post by jeremiahkim »

Fantastic photos, especially the mist from Nevada and of Vernal from Clark Point!
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

Looking good bro. Going to denver/vail this weekend to screw around. Hope to get some snow day hikes in. CO also had a low snow year. Ski resort closed last week. How was it when you did CDT?

I think I will head to whitney 5/3. Worried snow will be too patchy for full alpine experience.

Andy and I are hiking piute to mammoth 5/29. Hope it's not fully melted.

Any other trips planned?
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

Thanks for the report, as soon as 120 opens that's where I want to go.
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

@Hobbes -- The CDT in Colorado was snow-free for me, but that was September 2015 (not April). I'm looking forward to your Whitney trip report. Otherwise, my summer calendar is filled with many trips, long and short. I'm working on the SPS list; at the top of my shopping list is Agassiz, Brewer, and Red Slate.
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

Nice pics...Thx for the report!
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;