Carson Pass Trip Report

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Carson Pass Trip Report

Post by Harlen »

Thanks Bill. Say, did you know this snakey green plant?
100_0071.jpg
What is this plant Bill?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
JohnS
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by JohnS »

Not Bill, but the plant is Iris missouriensis, Western Blue Flag. There are always nice displays on that saddle.
John
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Gazelle wrote:
When I did Highland/silver went in Ebbetts pass to Noble lake up to 10824 then along ridge to Highland/silver then dropped down to Noble creek trail where we had left a car.

Thanks Gazelle, I think I see where you might have dropped down to Noble Creek Trail, slightly south of west down the steep west slope of Silver?
Nice.
John wrote:
Not Bill, but the plant is Iris missouriensis, Western Blue Flag. There are always nice displays on that saddle.

Thanks John. Good to have another botany guy in the forum. That's great since Bill is still at least half geologist. What an interesting plant this blue flag is. I wonder if I was seeing its reduced alpine form- does it have a different shape down low? I'll check in Calflora. Thanks again, Harlen.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

Harlen wrote:Well, next time JB, glad you've been getting out, what do you do around Bridgeport? I've long wanted to ski in via Buckeye Creek, or perhaps better yet just 3-4 miles up Robinson Creek to a vantage point beneath the big wild peaks at the north end of the Sawtooth Ridge- "The Hulk" and others.

SNOOOOW wrote:
In your photo with the peaks Pyramid is the white pointy guy on the top left side of your screen followed by Jack's Dick's and Tallac moving to the right with Tallac popping up right above Lake Tahoe (I could be wrong as I am terrible at pointing out peaks from a distance, but I am confident in my identification of these).
I assume you and Gazelle are correct, my problem is figuring out how you can see Pyramid Peak, seemingly without Ralston- of your recent ascent- in front of it? Is Ralston to the west of Pyramid more? (see photos below) All the best, Harlen.
100_0248.jpg
So your saying that Mt. Tallac is the darker, rock and snow peak to the far right in both of these photos, (just visible at the left in the second) and then Dicks, then Jacks moving to the left in the first pic., both just right of Little Round Top? And then which is Pyramid? The biggest conical white peak to the left of the others, with one smaller white peak just to its right?
Man, where do I start...When we ski around Bridgeport it is always out of Virginia Lakes, easy access when that road is plowed and great skiing.
Ralston is ESE of Pyramid. Pyramid is 1 of those peaks that helps me get my bearings cuz its easily spotted, it looks like it's name. Tallac is Tallac and I see that thing so frequently I just know it when I see it in a photo, especially since it rises right out of the lake.
I did Highland the same way Gazelle did except she is awesomer than I and added Silver. I started my day with the thought of doing both but by the time I made it up Highland I wanted to head back. The route up from Noble was very fun IMO. My fav out there is still Raymond for whatever reason, I really like that peak and will probably end up going back out there this Spring to do it once more. I started from Wet Meadows last time so maybe this time I will start from Hwy 4. Reynolds is cool too, nice little summit block. I think I answered your questions.
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Snooow we should go do a peak or 2 together sometime?
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

Sounds good Gazelle, I end up hiking by myself a lot because I do not know many people that want to go on big long missions like a lot of us on this website enjoy. You just gotta promise you'll wait for me cuz I have read your trip reports :) I will PM you :drinkers:
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

The closest I could get was Lily family.