Backpacking Sabrina Basin

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Backpacking Sabrina Basin

Post by Matthewkphx »

cvr wrote:The view in the pic is looking pretty much due south a short distance from where the trail from Blue ends at Baboon. I don't think the trail is maintained beyond the junction above Blue, but it is easy to follow.
Thanks. I was pretty sure we were looking south in that photo. I look forward to hitting Baboon Lake as our last night in july.
Digforfire
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Digforfire »

Thanks for the info! I just picked up a map of the area and there are so many options...I think we are going to include a night at dingleberry lake. Were definitely considering taking a night to acclimatize but don't know if we can swing the time off work.
texan
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by texan »

If you camp at Moonlight, Midnight, or Hungry Packer you need to go up to Echo Lake. The scenery is unreal. If you camp by Blue Lake or Baboon lakes i would go up to Sunset Lake. The scenery is unreal there too. Fishing is good also.

Texan
rashoop
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rashoop »

I'm trying to find a backcountry trip that my wife, who has lingering knee issues (that lead to surgery last year) can join me on (best if no major pass to cross). I'd been thinking of Little Lakes Valley outside of Rock Creek, then stumbled on some info about Sailor Lake... and with one of my interests being landscape photography, this looks like it could be a winner. BUT, I read while looking into permits "No Campfires." Is this true?

Thank you!

Bob
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

"No Campfires." Is this true?
Yes, none above 10000ft.
Welcome to HST!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rashoop
Topix Novice

Post by rashoop »

maverick wrote: Yes, none above 10000ft.
Welcome to HST!
Thank you Maverick. It's been almost 20 years since I hit the high-country of the Sierra Nevada (WAY too long), and oh how things have changed since then. No bear canisters mandated back then, and fire rules seemed to be far more relaxed. Guess it's a good thing though, as it will prevent foraging for downed wood that can be sparse. Still a bummer though. One of the pleasures of backpacking has been sitting around a fire with a wee dram... Oh well. Still looking forward to going to a place I consider home.
Digforfire
Topix Acquainted

Post by Digforfire »

Just curious, is bear spray recommended ?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

No Bear spray necessary; in fact it is illegal in some places Sierra to carry it. Just the bear can. These aren't grizzlies or browns. Black bears run if you shout and look big to them.
Digforfire
Topix Acquainted

Post by Digforfire »

All set to leave the morning of the 5th for Sabrina. Were both super excited. It doesn't show it in the forecast, but what are the chances of mountain showers/storms this time of year?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

All set to leave the morning of the 5th for Sabrina. Were both super excited. It doesn't show it in the forecast, but what are the chances of mountain showers/storms this time of year?
Just check the weather forecast the day before your trip. First week of September can sometimes be a little crazy, like it was last year, out 5 days, got rain, snow, hail, and heavy winds on that trip to Dusy, and it wasn't the first time experiencing such weather at the beginning of Sept, but it could very well be in the 70's, and sunny the whole trip. :nod:

Have fun, go prepare, and post a TR when you get back. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org