Double checking on bear can requirements over Shepherd Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
dbogey
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Double checking on bear can requirements over Shepherd Pass

Post by dbogey »

Heading over shepherds pass in August to milestone basin, picket/kaweahs, wales lake, wright lakes, and crabtree lakes. From the info I have, bear canisters ARE NOT required. Correct?
Just another day in paradise
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Double checking on bear can requirements over Shepherd P

Post by maverick »

Correct, the required section start south of Crabtree Pass, those areas fall within the recommended sections.

SEKI NP:
Rock Creek drainage west of Cottonwood and New Army Passes, south of Crabtree Pass, south of Goyot Pass, and north-northwest of the Sequoia National Park boundary and Siberian Pass, including Soldier Lake,Miter Basin, along Rock Creek, and Siberian Outpost. All trail corridors and cross-country routes within the area are included in the restriction.
https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/foodstorage.htm
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

dbogey wrote:Heading over shepherds pass in August to milestone basin, picket/kaweahs, wales lake, wright lakes, and crabtree lakes. From the info I have, bear canisters ARE NOT required. Correct?
While Maverick' response is technically correct, as I read the regs you must counterbalance if you do not have an approved bear canister. So if you are in an area where this is not possible then you do need a canister. An ursac that is not counterbalanced is not legal.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
dbogey
Topix Acquainted

Post by dbogey »

What about this map. Nothing is required once your over Shepherds Pass as far as I can tell.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 88313&z=11

This comes straight from https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/rec ... ev3_003846
dbogey
Topix Acquainted

Post by dbogey »

Nevermind. There's another checkbox that shows the areas. Seems like counterbalancing is required everywhere canisters are not required.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

There are trees suitable to counterbalance at all your general destinations (except Wallace/Wales unless you want to camp away from Wallace Lake about a quarter mile down), but that really limits you where you can camp. The trees are sparse enough that hunting for a suitable tree takes up time (for me 20-30 minutes) and you may end up at a less than perfect spot. I just find that the freedom of finding a perfect site, without having to find the perfect tree, is worth carrying a bear can. For example, plenty of good trees at the lowest Crabtree Lake, but the middle lake is very scenic and supposedly better fishing, but it is above timber. Same with Wrights Lakes. Lower Wrights Lake has trees, but the upper one (the most scenic) does not. But if you are the type that prefers to camp in timbered sites, then I think you could find enough campsites where you could counterbalance.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

As mentioned, some areas you will have to hang away from the lakes, Wallace and Wales. Lower Crabtree, Lower Milestone, Lower and mid Kaweah Basin, and Picket Lake all have some trees available. I would rather have the freedom to set up camp where I would like to, instead of being dictated by where I can hang my food, but that just me.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Just because there are trees, it doesn't mean that they are suitable for counterbalancing. How many extra miles are you willing to walk in search of a tree that is usable?
Scouter9
Topix Regular

Post by Scouter9 »

...and it's hard to eat dinner using a pile of rope for a stool. :)
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

You did not say how many days you plan on, but if the capacity of the bear can is your concern, you would not need to fit one day's food if you camp on the east side of Shepherd Pass and you could hang the bit that does not fit for the first few days. I just did a trip last year similar to your route, and yes there are trees that would work, so we are not talking walking miles to find one. But that part of the Sierra tends to have trees with first branches high up so be sure you have a long enough cord if you plan to counterbalance. I do not think I would be able to sling a branch at the campsite below!
7605_LCrabtree camp_edited-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.