Fording Bubbs Creek

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SierraMaclure
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Fording Bubbs Creek

Post by SierraMaclure »

Opinions wanted on the crossability of Bubbs Creek just upstream of Vidette Meadows to get up Vidette Canyon the end of this July. Thanks. - K
"Between every two pine trees lies a door to a new life," John Muir.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Fording Bubbs Creek

Post by kpeter »

I did this decades ago on a dayhike from Charlotte in late July, and don't even remember the crossing--it did not register. Hopefully you will get more recent feedback, but in a 65% dry year by the end of July I would be surprised if this crossing was a problem.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

Crossed in late May of '04. I didn't take descent notes and my memory is a bit fuzzy (so take this with a grain of salt) but I recall using a log crossing which I found pretty quickly. It was early season and water to me always looks intimidating at first glance during this time (esp when solo), but remember being more happy using the log to keep my feet dry than for safety. Side note, but there was a small, really old cabin (Shorty's?) tucked back in there on the other side worth checking out.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

The only Bubbs Creek crossings that caught my attention were downhill closer to Junction Meadow. The trail crossing going up to East Lake was deep up to the belly of a pack horse. Instead, I had to cross on foot down at the low end of Junction Meadow where the creek broadens out. Yes, Shorty's cabins are found here and there all over the place. The park service has to demolish some of those old cabins when they get too weak to stand safely. I've been in a few, mostly when we were out cross country ski touring. They are not very good shelters, but any shelter is better than nothing when a storm is blowing in.
srb
Topix Novice

Post by srb »

When all else has failed, I've been able to cross on the large log near 36.7580, -118.4064, which is on the way if you're going to West Vidette, West Spur, Deerhorn, etc. Given that it's near one of Shorty's cabins, I expect this is the log that copeg mentioned.

It was still there in 2017, so it likely survived this winter.