TR: Cottonwood & Trail Pass 5/4/2018

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

TR: Cottonwood & Trail Pass 5/4/2018

Post by cloudlesssky »

I'm planning to hike CA section G of the PCT in a couple weeks and I was curious what the trail conditions were like on the northern end of the section, so I decided to take a quick day hike from Horseshoe Meadow up Cottonwood Pass south to Trail Pass and then back to the parking lot. After a snow/rain storm on Tuesday, Friday was near perfect conditions (sunny, 50+ degrees, calm).

I turned off Hwy 395 at Lubken Canyon Road and was treated to the moon setting over the Sierra.
IMG_5991.JPG
I like driving up the single lane road and dream of owning the small ranch on the north side.
IMG_5992.JPG
Mine was the only car in the Horseshoe Meadow trail head parking until someone arrived to load PCT resupplies in the bear boxes. I made good time up to Cottonwood pass. There was only a little snow on the trail and summit, however I've seen much less this time of year in a low snow year.
IMG_5996.JPG
IMG_5998.JPG
I walked to Chicken Spring Lake and found it mostly frozen. The northeastern edge where it gets afternoon sun was thawing out.
IMG_6000.JPG
I then headed south on the PCT towards Trail Pass. The PCT between Cottonwood and Trail passes was probably 50-60% snow covered. It was early enough in the day that I didn't post hole too much. Near Trail Pass I encountered the only other hikers of the day: a couple heading north on the PCT. With the weight of their packs they were breaking through the crust much more easily than I was. They hoped to make the Crabtree Ranger station before stopping for the night. After a short conversation I wished them luck. I'm sure it was going to be a tough slog as the temperature climbed and the sun softened the snow.
IMG_6003.JPG
From Trail Pass I returned to Horseshoe Meadows.
IMG_6012.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mort
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Cottonwood & Trail Pass 5/4/2018

Post by mort »

Hi cloudlesssky.
Not much snow! Thanks for the pictures and report. How's the road? I had heard it suffered in the big rains. I'm hoping to get to Miter Basin the last week of May.
-mort
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular

Post by cloudlesssky »

mort wrote: How's the road? I had heard it suffered in the big rains.
-mort
Road was in very good shape. There is one very small section where the pavement apparently washed out but it's graded over already only and requires you to slow a bit.
Solace-seeker
Topix Acquainted

Post by Solace-seeker »

Great photos. Thanks for posting about your trip. I heard there are big horn sheep in this area. Have you ever seen one here?
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular

Post by cloudlesssky »

Solace-seeker wrote:G I heard there are big horn sheep in this area. Have you ever seen one here?
Not at lower elevations, but in Sept 2015 I did see a group of them on Mt Langley. Although I've frequently seen evidence of them at higher elevations, this was the only time I've actually seen them.
IMG_6134 (2).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Solace-seeker
Topix Acquainted

Post by Solace-seeker »

WOW! So Awesome!
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

Here you go - Langley (sort of cut off on left), Olancha behind in the far distance (the last 12k peak in the range), Muir in the foreground & Kern Peak in the center distance:

rhyang
Topix Regular

Post by rhyang »

Very nice. Looks like a return to the GTW via the east side might be better earlier than later this year.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk