Mcgee creek, Rock Creek, Hilton lake TR - 5/5

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Mcgee creek, Rock Creek, Hilton lake TR - 5/5

Post by overheadx2 »

Went up trailer camping to Toms place last weekend and did a few days of day hiking.
f1.jpg
Very little to patchy snow from 10k to 10,200'. This is Rock Creek trail just below
the Mono Pass turn off
f5.jpg
The beginning of McGee Creek Trail head.
f2.jpg
The trail to Hilton Lakes looking back toward toward Morgan Pass.
f4.jpg
I believe this is Box lake in Little lakes Valley towards Morgan Pass. As you can see, there was some open water at the inlet. Long lake was almost completely iced over. Snow became pretty consistent after this at 10,300' and I would suggest snowshoes for any thing above that.
f 3.jpg
All lakes below 10,300' had a lot of open water at the inlet and outlets.
Constant snow past Heart lake on out of Little Lakes Valley, the steelhead lake turnoff at Mcgee creek and the ridge overlooking Hilton Lakes.
Seemed like the perfect time to for newby's to snow camping since the weather was very nice with plenty of snow and longer days to hike around.

Thanks to technology I was even able to return to camp, have a beer and watch the wave pool finals at the campsite.
surf.jpg
Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by overheadx2 on Wed May 09, 2018 7:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mcgee creek, Rock Creek, Hilton lake TR - 5/5

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the update. :)
Any pictures coming?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

There you go mav
Jason
Topix Regular

Post by Jason »

That looks like a good time. I'm not much for winter explorations in the mountains, so seeing this is pretty exciting. The season is upon us!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

There you go mav
Garcias, nice photos! :thumbsup:
I see you were roughing it. :)

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

Yep, that's as close to winter camping as I get.I hiked the grand canyon last February and I found that I'm pretty delicate, being holed up in a sleeping bag for 12 hours wasn't my thing. I could probably do it now with the longer days and slightly warmer temps in the evenings. Nice little set up for late fall and winter snow shoeing and skiing treks to the bishop and Yosemite areas.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I hiked the grand canyon last February and I found that I'm pretty delicate, being holed up in a sleeping bag for 12 hours wasn't my thing.
More like 14 hrs in the Sierra, which is why I'll go in May for photo's with snow, longer days, warmer temp, and no need to melt snow for water. :nod: