News Reporter Chooses Vanlife After Hiking Pacific Crest Tra

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

News Reporter Chooses Vanlife After Hiking Pacific Crest Tra

Post by Hobbes »

DAVELA
Topix Regular

Re: News Reporter Chooses Vanlife After Hiking Pacific Crest

Post by DAVELA »

This is an ad for mb featuring a fake hipster pretending to be roughing it.Only thing missing is her instagram #.
Is there a real site showing how real van people are doing it in the owens valley?I love the van conversions you see in bishop behind eastside sports or vons parking lot.
Last edited by DAVELA on Fri May 18, 2018 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

I've owned a 22' Lazy Daze for the last 6 years, but I'm seriously toying with the idea of doing a van conversion. Specialty companies that create "plug & play" components are becoming more prevalent, especially since they can focus on a few factory standard production vans (MB Sprinter, Ford Transit, etc).

The one in the video posted above is a really nicely executed conversion. They can be as primitive or refined as you like. Since I already have an RV, I know what's it like to have a professionally appointed lay out.

A stealthy, inconspicuous commercial diesel van that is easy to maneuver/drive, yet highly functional, lets you get to places and set up base camp with tons of flexibility. It's a trend this is obvious to anyone who owns a trailer/RV/motorhome. While there are plenty of hipsters, there are also lots of people who know exactly what's goin' down, and are fully on board.

Perhaps the most impressive is this hand built, personally designed van conversion by a retired Silicon valley engineer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUKc1TGS-bU
psykokid
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by psykokid »

I borrowed our LWB High Roof Sprinter from work last weekend to go up to my dad's place up near Yosemite and bring some of his things home. Drove great, got decent mileage, and having the room to stand up in back was nice. My wife has been looking at them since we got home because even with the SWB version there is a ton of room inside and with our kids getting older soon it will be just her and I on trips.
bob adams
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by bob adams »

Either that van is gigantic or she is about four feet tall. Loved her hiking boots. :)
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

She is a television reporter. And that's exactly how the video feels. She thanks every one of the sponsors, and covers all the topics as shallowly as possible. I don't think she actually lives in this van---loved the comments about how she needs a deep sink to wash dishes but had no food in the fridge or drawers.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
CAMERONM
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by CAMERONM »

It is amazing how much cheap entertainment there is on Youtube. My first impulse was to BARF, the second was derision, and finally my third was to stop it as I really can't afford much time to watch stuff like this. HOWEVER I watched enough to get the drift and I do think that it is very interesting in the context of conversations held here about the intersection of what most of us do and the FB/Instagram/Youtuber culture. #vanlife #hikertrash #pct #grrlpower. Trust fund appropriation of roughin' it has been around a long time. But in this case it also appears to be a false veneer to sell stuff. The stench of Fake News on the PCT and on the backstreets of Bishop!