Questions about High Sierra trail

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Questions about High Sierra trail

Post by longri »

I looked up the details of the breakfast that I often take on longer trips, a particular brand of granola cereal. I've always understood it to be a bit bulky, definitely not the most space efficient food. But it's something I can eat day after day. And it doesn't require any cooking, or even any utensils.

So here's how it stacks up against steel cut oats and couscous. I assumed 7 breakfasts at 500 Calories per serving (3500 Cal total):

1.6 lbs / 6.1 cups -- granola
2.1 lbs / 5.8 cups -- steel cut oats
2.1 lbs / 5.4 cups -- couscous

The granola is not as space inefficient as I thought, taking up just a fraction of a cup more than the other two. But it saves half a pound in weight. It's between 5-13% more voluminous but about 24% lighter. To me the latter figure is the important one.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

To be fair (apples to apples comparison), granola is a MIX of oats, sugar, nuts and dried fruit and baked in a bit of oil . Steel cut oats and couscous are simply the base ingredients of a homemade breakfast; you add the sugar, nuts, dried fruit and oil (or butter). The real comparison is between the base ingredient; oat flakes, steel cut oats or couscous (you can buy whole grain couscous). Calorie-wise all are about the same. Wheat is slightly different in nutrients and fiber than oats. I love granola at home but not backpacking. In addition to being bulky, if I am squeezing stuff into my bear can, the granola ends up crumbs. If however, you have the space and do not want to cook, it is great- beats the PCT standard :eek: Pop-Tarts!
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

Wandering Daisy wrote:To be fair (apples to apples comparison), granola is a MIX of oats, sugar, nuts and dried fruit and baked in a bit of oil . Steel cut oats and couscous are simply the base ingredients of a homemade breakfast; you add the sugar, nuts, dried fruit and oil (or butter). The real comparison is between the base ingredient; oat flakes, steel cut oats or couscous (you can buy whole grain couscous). Calorie-wise all are about the same. Wheat is slightly different in nutrients and fiber than oats. I love granola at home but not backpacking. In addition to being bulky, if I am squeezing stuff into my bear can, the granola ends up crumbs. If however, you have the space and do not want to cook, it is great- beats the PCT standard :eek: Pop-Tarts!
Fair point, and something I'd thought of. But I didn't know what you added, if anything.

You say you add "sugar, nuts, dried fruit and oil (or butter)". Well I add dried fruit and nuts to my granola as well, so that won't make any difference. But let's say you use the following recipe:

1/2 cup steel cut oats
2 T of sugar
2 T of oil/butter

The sugar doesn't really change the calorie/mass density but the oil does. With the above recipe the total weight for 3500 Calories would be 1.7 lbs, nearly the same as the granola. The sugar and oil take up volume but you'd need less oats for that many calories. So it would end up being about 4.3 cups total. That's ignoring any bulk added by the oil container itself.

So you're right, it ends up saving about 2 cups worth of space in the bear canister versus granola (for 3500 Calories worth). And, ignoring packaging, it weighs about the same. Darn it, I thought maybe I was wrong about granola being bulky. Nope, it is kind of bulky, just like it appears.

[edited to correct math error]
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

I used to have oatmeal and breakfast food like that years ago when I led group trips. Now, however, I find the need to get out of camp earlier and faster, so the thought of cooking anything isn't good for me. Now I use something like Carnation Breakfast Essentials, because it is a powder and packs tightly. I normally use boiling water on it, and I can slurp it down quickly. If I had a rough night, I will dump one little packet of instant coffee in with it. Often I will eat some solid bar while I am waiting for the water to boil. That's what I need for an Alpine Start.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

pardon me if you disagree, but isn't starting up a stove and boiling water still cooking?
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

No.

Boiling water means boiling one or two cups of water, and then pouring that water over the dry food in a bowl. Cooking means heating up food in a pot over a hot stove, and typically you have to stir it and monitor it to avoid scorching. Then you eat the hot food, and then you have to scrub out the pot.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Cooking has a lot to do with practice (by now I can cook with my eyes closed). I can cook and multitask. Whether to cook breakfast or eat later on the trail is an individual preference. I just wake up famished, and do much better taking the time to cook and eat. I do not take many breaks during the day, nor do I stop for lunch. I am very much a "morning person" and breakfast is actually my main meal. I do not think it matters much when you get the calories, just that you get sufficient each day. Just about everyone who has backpacked for many years has figured out their own eating/food schedules and choices that works for them. My only problem is when I go with someone who wants a long lunch break- that just kills my energy. I drag the rest of the day.

Oh yes, that old "Alpine start" is tough! Up at 2AM when it is pitch dark. Ugh! Do not do that anymore.

Strangest "food" experience was when I ran across "Trail Angels" handing out beers from coolers along the PCT! It was 9AM and I declined! Had I ran into them end of the day, it would have been great.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I have two rules. I cook nothing but fish. I do no dishes.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

bobby49 wrote:Now I use something like Carnation Breakfast Essentials, because it is a powder and packs tightly. I normally use boiling water on it, and I can slurp it down quickly.
Milk powder, sugar, and maltodextrin. Breakfast of Champions! :-)

And granola? It's basically horse food that's been doctored with a lot of sugar and fat.

I think it's all about what works best for you. That's why I don't care that much if my food is a little bulky. For that matter, the Carnation stuff probably isn't really all that dense. Just because something is a powder doesn't mean it has a high caloric density. It's definitely heavier than granola on a Cal/g basis and I wouldn't be surprised if it's bulkier on a per calorie basis as well. But that's immaterial since it's what works for you.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

I say "butter" but I use margarine (Flieshmans- does not burn or melt as easily as butter). Just avoid those "whipped" products because they are bulky with lots of air. Just be sure you put butter or whatever brand you use in a good container that will not leak or pop open accidently. I use the lightest GladWare screw on 4-oz containers. If you like olive oil, it packs better. You can get light small bottles at REI, ranging from 2, 4 and 8 ounces. These small-top bottles are rectangular and flat and pack well in a bear can. I usually take half margarine and half extra virgin olive oil.

I put powdered milk in about everything. I use "Nido" which is full fat. It actually is baby food (even a type for toddlers) and you can find it in the Mexican food isle of most stores (in my Walmart). It is made specifically for people who do not have refrigeration. The other brands of no-fat milk do provide protein but not nearly the calories. Nido also has a really nice creamy flavor. You can even buy it in a #10 tin can. It would also add calories to Instant Breakfast drinks if you use those.