Questions about High Sierra trail

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Questions about High Sierra trail

Post by maverick »

Please get back onto the OP's original subject matter, which is "Questions about High Sierrs trail", this thread has gotton way off topic, if you would to discuss food related topics start a new thread in the "Backcountry Food Topix" section. Thanks
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Satchel Buddah
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Satchel Buddah »

thank you WD!

I am scheduled to start sept 17, permit gods willing. Starting to give some thoughts to the possibility of snow... Should I pack microspikes ? thinking about Whitney...
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Early Fall snow is soft, and micro-spikes would not do much good. The only spot I see that would be a problem is if the decent route from Trail Crest gets covered with snow. You DO need to be prepared for snow with "shoulder season" gear. I have been caught in fall snows a lot, and I usually just sit it out in the tent until the snow stops. The early fall storms can be wet and quite cold at night, but usually melts off in a day or two.
Satchel Buddah
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Satchel Buddah »

Speaking of shoulder season, going in with a 20f quilt and a liner... Thinking about maybe bringing a second puffy jacket, but I think I can just wear the quilt in the eve if it gets fresh, as long as it is not raining... (I tend to do night photography/long exposures which get pretty cold fast after sitting in a spot for 30 minutes)

Also have "tall" (normal knee size) gaiters... would these be a good idea ? I do love them in the snow but a bit bulky and heavy. There might be lighter gaiters available these days have not revisited these in decades...

rain skirt good enough ? or should I pack pants ? or the heck with it and read delicious books while it rains :)

thank you for your wisom!!