Haeckel Col for Beginners?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Ballpeen
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Haeckel Col for Beginners?

Post by Ballpeen »

Have you considered Lamarck Col as an alternative?
rjszanto
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rjszanto »

Thanks, Matthew, fast response :).

@Ballpeen yes on Lamarck Col but this is a permit situation. Basically, I booked permits for South-North loop for mid August for 6 and we are coming out over Lamarck Col (we have done Lamarck before from either direction on 2 different trips). But now I have 9 people interested. So for the additional 3 we looked at possible ways to merge the group from 2 starting points and Sabrina is the only place with permits open.

So I was thinking to take 2 people over Haeckel and we would rendezvous @Wanda Lake with the group coming from Bishop. Alternative is a walk up but I am not sure we can count on expanding the group by 3 as we have people traveling from afar (Boise, Baltimore, Phoenix). I guess we could book the 3 Sabrina and release them if we get the walk up but I wouldn't feel great about that.

Rick
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Another standard crossover point is Echo Col.
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Matthewkphx »

How does Echo compare to Haeckel? I haven’t researched it lately but when I have the impression Echo is more difficult than Haeckel.
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

I think Echo is more exposed than Haeckel or Wallace or H-W. I took newbies over Echo and... I kind of regret it. The H cols may actually be looser, but they're not as steep.
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

Echo is more exposed than Haeckel. The route finding is a not difficult but you have to be patient. The last pitch up and over is class 3 too.

Texan
Moonwalker
Topix Acquainted

Post by Moonwalker »

I have been over Echo and Wallace Col, Wallace Col both directions, and Echo eastbound. Haven't been on Haeckel, but the comments I've seen remind me strongly of Wallace. I have some experience over the years off trail in this area, but I'm not a climber. Though rated class 2, Wallace Col was extremely perilous. This cannot be overstated. Loose like you wouldn't believe. I posted my impressions of it on this forum shortly after I did it, many years ago. Echo, though hair raising for many a backpacker, is at least solid. If you pale at Echo, you have no business on sketchier routes such as Wallace and Haeckel, in my opinion.
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Bishop_Bob »

Thanks to all of you commenting about your experiences on this trio of cross-country passes! This is valuable for those of us wondering which one would best suit our individual skill levels. I have a permit for late August with the goal crossing one of these passes but didn't know how they compare to one another.
notis
Topix Regular

Post by notis »

Agreed, these topics are useful for folks in the future, too. Beta on safety is the number one thing I look for when figuring out XC passes that are new to me. I quickly realized from experience not be blinded by the class ratings.

Darwin Col also exits Sabrina and drops into Darwin Canyon, but there is very little information on that. One of these days I was considering taking a lazy trip up to Sabrina and making a day trip of checking it out.
rjszanto
Topix Novice

Post by rjszanto »

Yes, agree with @notis that the inputs are useful and very much appreciated.

Although, now I am conflicted Haeckel vs Echo :). I see comments that Echo is more exposed than Haeckel but if Haeckel is like Wallace then the loose scree makes it more perilous, is that the gist?

@notis, when are you going in August, if you don't mind my asking? :)