River Crossing from River Trail to Garnet Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Graydog
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

River Crossing from River Trail to Garnet Lake

Post by Graydog »

We are heading to Garnet Lake from Agnew Meadows along the river trail over the 4th of July. Last year we did this trip in early August and couldnt cross the river at the use trail up to Garnet due to wild water. That was obviously a bigger snow year but I am wondering if anyone has been in the area recently and if that crossing will be ok when we are there in a in a week and half. Thanks!
CAMERONM
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: River Crossing from River Trail to Garnet Lake

Post by CAMERONM »

Hi

Yes, I was there a few days ago. One party could not cross and were on their way to the PCT/JMT junction to walk around up and over through Thousand to get to Garnet. I did not bother to look at the crossing itself, but there is indeed a lot of water coming down. Ten days from now? Hard to say. I'd have a backup plan.
Graydog
Topix Novice

Post by Graydog »

Thanks for the intel
Graydog
Topix Novice

Post by Graydog »

Bumping this in case anyone has been near this area and would have some info on river crossing conditions.

Thanks!