Golden Lake near Mono Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Golden Lake near Mono Pass

Post by gary c. »

I've never been to Golden Lake but thinking about stopping for a night either on our way to from Pioneer Basin next week. I remember seeing the trail up from near the Fourth Recess cut off but is there also a trail down from Summit Lake to GL? Would rather do it as a pass through than in and out. Pictures I've seen and satellite views don't show much in the way of what looks like decent camp sites? There are 7 of us with 5 tents. Any suggestions? It doesn't look particularly scenic but I wouldn't mind spending another evening fishing for goldens and seems silly to hike past it again without at least checking it out. We start this weekend.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: Golden Lake near Mono Pass

Post by balzaccom »

There is no trail down from Summit. It's steep, but I am sure that you can find a route. The route from below is steep but easy...not particularly well marked by it's obvious where you need to go. Campsites are probably best down by the outlet, where you might get some flat area, and a bit of protection from the wind. Or you could just fish there on your way through, and then camp down at Fourth Recess or in Mono Canyon below..
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Gary,
It has been at least a decade since I visited Golden, but I've taken relative novices from the pass down to the lake and vice versa. You may need to do a bit of rock hopping and re-routing, but it's a pretty easy route. And, although there may be campsites near the outlet, I have always camped near the broad meadows on the southeastern quadrant of the lake. On our last visit with another couple, there were 2 other parties camped in the same general area, and we hardly knew they were there, so it's a good place to accommodate lots of people. There's a ~100 yard talus field along the northwestern shore to get back to the use trail that leads back to the main (Mono) trail, but it's more a nuisance than obstacle. It's a good stop twixt trailhead and Pioneer!
Cameron
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Early season there can be steep snow around the lake, but otherwise, just as others have said. I guess the question is why? I did not find it all that better scenery than the trail. Personally I would rather spend more time other places, such as a side trip to Fourth Recess. Or spend one night at Ruby Lake on the way out- it is really scenic with good camping on benches north of the outlet.

There is a nice clump of trees on benches near the inlet of Golden Lake, but I have never looked in detail, if there are actual campsites. Could be rocky. The lake is down in a hole, so sunlight is late coming in the AM. I have never tried to fish the lake.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

I remember seeing the trail up from near the Fourth Recess cut off but is there also a trail down from Summit Lake to GL?
About a 1/2 mile up from the FRL junction, and then almost a mile to Golden Lake. You could go visit PB, then on the way out go to GL, camp on at the southeastern end of the lake, and then get an early start up the outlet creek to Mono Pass.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

As of 2013 (last time I was there) there was a use trail from Golden Lake up to the pass. It leaves from near the outlet and traverses up the western slope, which is pretty steep in places so you really are better off on the trail. I lost track of the trail somewhere above the 11,440 contour but at that point it doesn't matter--just follow any drainage or ridgelet up and you'll hit the trail.

If you're approaching from the pass, stay to the left while descending the Golden Lake inlet stream drainage, and you should be able to spot the use trail.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Thank you everyone for your input. I think that we will probably pass on by again this trip. Maybe I'll do it as a day hike over the pass from Rock Creek Lake sometime.

WD, our trip is planned a little bit more like you suggested already. We have a new person with us so we are taking it easy and giving her plenty of time to acclimate and just do a relaxed hike in general. The first night will be at Ruby Lake. Second night is Fourth Recess, then Third Recess, and from there to Pioneer Basin. No firm schedule except to be out by the following Sunday. That is why I was thinking about throwing Golden Lake in as a personal thing just so I could fish it.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Make sure to visit all the lakes in PB, most folks only visit the lakes east of Hopkins (10862) and the upper lake (11026), but the large lake, a little further east, and the lakes west of Huntington are well worth visiting. There are some also some great views south on the small hill between Lake 10862 and the large lake mentioned above.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

I did that same trip in 2013. We headed up to golden lake and exited the summit. As Tom says, there was an easy use trail relatively high on the west side of the lake. Relatively easy to see and very straight forward. From the summit, it gets a little tricky since the travel is very easy and the trail gets lost. As you get further toward the lake, just stay high on the west ridge and you should see it. It was very easy to see from the outlet. From the outlet you have to gain elevation right away to get around some difficult areas and then it was a straight shot to the summit. From the summit the trail stays relatively high and angles to the North end by the outlet.
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

I did that same trip in 2013. We headed up to golden lake and exited the summit. As Tom says, there was an easy use trail relatively high on the west side of the lake. Relatively easy to see and very straight forward. From the summit, it gets a little tricky since the travel is very easy and the trail gets lost. As you get further toward the lake, just stay high on the west ridge and you should see it. It was very easy to see from the outlet. From the outlet you have to gain elevation right away to get around some difficult areas and then it was a straight shot to the summit. From the summit the trail stays relatively high and angles to the North end by the outlet.