60 Lakes Basin

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
deej
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

60 Lakes Basin

Post by deej »

By any chance, does anyone have any experience packing to the 60 Lakes Basin area (Rae Lakes, perhaps) via a trail other than Kearsarge Pass on the east side? Also, does anyone know of the condition of the trail from the other side - Cedar Grove? I haven't really explored much from that side, and I read something about a bridge that crosses the Kings River being washed out. Any suggestions as to an alternative to hiking that route to 60 Lakes Basin? I assume the Rae Lakes Loop from the west side is pretty well traveled, so any info on that area is greatly appreciated. Thank you. Last minute trip, so of course, I'll have to take my chances with getting permits.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 60 Lakes Basin

Post by AlmostThere »

Pretty well, yes. First set of permits to disappear in SEKI every March.

If you don't want to wade the river, you'll end up with Bubbs Creek - steep and exposed. There are five walk up permits available TODAY for tomorrow, as is the practice, and all reserved permits for the week have been gone since March. I'm going up to Sphinx Creek tomorrow, getting a pre-dawn start, because it will likely be in the 90s in the canyon.

SEKI has a wilderness trip planner that will fully inform you as to how many nights you can legally spend in 60 Lakes Basin, max group size, etc. I believe those lakes are also fishless, or destined to be.
https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/ ... -Final.pdf

If you look at the High Sierra Map in the resources menu (upper right hand corner) and search for Rae Lakes, after selecting cross country passes, you will see routes in the area.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

deej,
Hobbes posted a long appreciation of Sawmill Pass last year, and it would get you to 60 Lakes basin from the North with far less traffic than Kearsarge or Bubbs Creek or Paradise Valley. But, it is a huge grunt to the Sawmill ridge, so keep that in mind. Beyond that observation, AlmostThere covered the gamut: the off-trail pass section of HST has lots of information about options for scampering further afield from 60 Lakes, if you're so inclined. But, in my trips through that area, it is as heavily under-utilized as Rae Lakes are over-utilized. And, yes, many of the lakes there are have gill nets, so it's targeted for re-frogging. cg
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by fishmonger »

Baxter Pass connects to the JMT just below Rae Lakes, a pretty direct east west route if you want to go over the crest and head into 60 Lakes basin. Sawmill is quite a bit more distance and you need to drop all the way down to the bridge over Woods Creek before heading back up to 60 Lakes Basin
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
deej
Topix Acquainted

Post by deej »

Thanks to all of you who have so kindly responded. We are going in August. I've gone via Kearsarge a few times (60 lakes basin only once). Don't mind that route, but couldn't hike much this past year, so a little skeptical about keeping up with the youngsters this year, esp with our time crunch. I'm always in Lone Pine hoping to get that walk-in permit -fingers crossed it works this time. Even Baxter Pass is full. Wondering what the trail is like up to the pass (and beyond) and if it is worth considering time-wise. Anyone have any feedback on that? Thanks again, for the info, links, and suggestions. Greatly appreciate it!
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
deej
Topix Acquainted

Post by deej »

Did a little research on Baxter, didn't really find what I was looking for. Maybe that's a sign. And yes, will be on HST before we go. I can change my mind last minute when I'm at the visitor station, also, since I'm a walk-in (one perk). Will look at the resources section of the HS Map. That, I haven't done...thanks.
tanngrisnir3
Topix Acquainted

Post by tanngrisnir3 »

fishmonger wrote:Baxter Pass connects to the JMT just below Rae Lakes, a pretty direct east west route if you want to go over the crest and head into 60 Lakes basin. Sawmill is quite a bit more distance and you need to drop all the way down to the bridge over Woods Creek before heading back up to 60 Lakes Basin
Baxter, though, is just a MUTHA of a hike.