Kid-friendly backpacking suggestions needed, please!

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
davepctjmt
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Kid-friendly backpacking suggestions needed, please!

Post by davepctjmt »

We did thousand Island with friends, and our combined kids of 5,7,8,10. We entered at Agnew meadows on the shadow lake trail, It was an 8 night trip, with camps at daily mileages of approx:

2.5 miles, just near the bridge before you start the ascent to shadow lake
5 miles, Clarice lake (15 mins off trail, a big hit)
3 miles, ruby lake ( great camp on a spur trail just after you cross the outlet, going up into the trees on the right)
4 miles, rush creek (a bit off trail beyond the normal sites)
3 miles just below Donohue Pass
4 miles at Lyell forks bridge
5 miles, last legal camp next to a natural rock waterslide
6 miles to end

This was a very easy pace, with lots of time to play. Our challenge was to swim in every lake we encountered, but I have to admit skipping emerald lake because it was about 8am and we’d only just started hiking!

We did Whitney from onion valley with our kids, then 6 and 9 years old, on a 6-7mile/day pace. My experience is that if you can keep them mentally entertained, they can hike way further than you think, and part of the joy of hiking with them is that it forces you to engage mentally at their level for a prolonged period, which they seem to really appreciate.
oakboy711
Topix Novice

Post by oakboy711 »

My 9yr old and I just went into the Cottonwood Lakes area. We went up to south fork lake and stayed for two days and day hiked to the snow under Cirque Peak and over to Long Lake. Whichever trail you choose bring fruit snack and lots of patience.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

I second the suggestion of Dinkey Lakes Wilderness which has several destinations of <3 mi from the Dinkey Lakes Wilderness trailhead (note high clearance vehicle best for this), including First Dinkey and Mystery Lakes. Kaiser Wilderness also offers multiple options inside of 5 miles. Sample Meadows (easier) or Potter Pass into the Upper Twin Lakes area has several possible destinations, the closest of which of is less than 3 mi from the Sample Meadows trailhead (this would be Upper Twin L). Ansel Adams Wilderness entry from Hwy 41 (west side) also offers some targets inside of 5 mi. Vandeburg Lake etc.(the Madera Lakes) are good destinations as are the Jackass Lakes although the latter do not offer as many options for further exploration as the Madera Lakes. For east side destinations, in addition to the 20 Lakes Basin and Little Lakes Valley, Virginia Lakes, and
Cottonwood, there are many options within 5 miles of a trailhead off of many of the prime E side trailheads. A sampling from S to N (excluding those named previously): Bishop Creek, S Fork (South Lake): flank hikes to Green Lake in one direction (from Parchers Camp) or the Tyee Lakes in the other, work well, and the main trunk trail and its spurs offers a lot of destinations inside of 5 mi, including the Treasure Lakes, Ruwau Lake, Long Lake, etc. Bishop Creek Middle (Sabrina L): Blue Lake and surroundings are in the middle of it and they are inside of 5 mi, as are Dingleberry Lake, Emerald Lakes etc., Bishop Creek North (North Lake). The Lamarck Lakes on one spur are nice and the main trunk trail has Piute Lake. Rock Creek: Hilton option. Hilton Lakes including Davis Lake are easy to explore within 5 mi.
Mammoth. There are a chain of lakes going up to Duck Pass that are within 5 mi of the trailhead. Green Creek. East Lake at about 3.5-4 mi in is a favorite of mine and a lot of other folks. Green Lake is closer to the trailhead but not as gorgeous as East L.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

The consideration for Dinkey is the roads - only one route to Willow Meadow is drivable at this time, and none of them are paved. Washouts and a broken bridge are the issues. Get a road map from the forest service office and ask how to get there.

Another option is Hobler Lake. Three miles in from the Maxson trailhead and there are fish.
jillsocean
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by jillsocean »

I realize this thread is a bit old, but I wanted to add a vote for Dinkey Lakes. I just took my daughter (10 yrs, light pack) on her first trip and it was simply amazing. The hike is to Cliff Lake is 5.25 miles, so it is best to get an early start. But once there ... heaven! So many lakes and peaks to explore. Also, the first mile is downhill - what a great way to get the hike started and packs adjusted. I will be looking the other suggestions in the southern half - thanks!
jmnorvell
Topix Novice

Post by jmnorvell »

davepctjmt wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:46 pm We did thousand Island with friends, and our combined kids of 5,7,8,10. We entered at Agnew meadows on the shadow lake trail, It was an 8 night trip, with camps at daily mileages of approx:
I love this suggestion, but how do you pack for an 8-day trip with kids? I'm in awe... :-)
--
John Norvell
davepctjmt
Topix Novice

Post by davepctjmt »

jmnorvell wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:17 pm
davepctjmt wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:46 pm We did thousand Island with friends, and our combined kids of 5,7,8,10. We entered at Agnew meadows on the shadow lake trail, It was an 8 night trip, with camps at daily mileages of approx:
I love this suggestion, but how do you pack for an 8-day trip with kids? I'm in awe... :-)
The gear is easy - we have a warmlite 3r tent which sleeps 4, and the kids carry most of their own gear. Food is harder, my wife and I carry it all, using custom 16” bearikades. Our starting food weight is about 60lbs, but we eat it fast.
jmnorvell
Topix Novice

Post by jmnorvell »

davepctjmt wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:08 pm The gear is easy - we have a warmlite 3r tent which sleeps 4, and the kids carry most of their own gear. Food is harder, my wife and I carry it all, using custom 16” bearikades. Our starting food weight is about 60lbs, but we eat it fast.
:thumbsup:
--
John Norvell