TR: Red Mountain Basin area, 6/24 - 29

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tlsharb
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR: Red Mountain Basin area, 6/24 - 29

Post by tlsharb »

nice report. I haven't been to Halfmoon since the late 60s. Pretty place, but if I was at Big Shot, I would have popped over the hill to Bench Valley. I do agree that heading up the Kings River is a little "view deficient". But at the end of the day, you camped in some gorgeous spots. Thanks for sharing.
ts
cslaght
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by cslaght »

Love this area, went there last year! Camped at Disappointment Lake for a couple of nights and had kind of the same issues with mosquitoes. Not too bad, but not comfortable, probably a 3. Funny story too, on our way back we thought about camping at Hobler Lake as well, not because we couldn't make it back or anything, but why burn out trying to get back and be tired when we still had our day? We ended up camping just off the trail by the creek in a really large campsite. It was only 150-200 yards off the trail but felt super isolated. We saw groups go by but was pretty sure they didn't see us. Thanks for the report!
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

WD wrote:
I am looking at a map and cannot find a Halfmoon Lake. Where is it?
Halfmoon Lake is down in "Woodchuck Country," in the Blackcap Mtn. Quad- just west of Scepter Pass. Can it be that I have been in a place you haven't WD? Not fair, since I did 3 seasons of re-veg, working out of Wishon back in the 80's.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.