TR Desolation-Fontanillis

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
brianA
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

TR Desolation-Fontanillis

Post by brianA »

One of my favorite day hikes is in Desolation Wilderness. It's to the beautiful Fontanillis Lake, and Falls. One can get there via the Eagles Lakes Trailhead at Emerald Bay, or the Bayview Trailhead about 1/2 mile south. We hiked a total of 12.5 miles out and back from Bayview, with a total ascension at 2700 feet for the day. Bayview is steep, but the views along the way are breathtaking. Sometimes we come in from the north via Upper Velma Lake, and hike up the stair stepping Fontanillis Falls. Today we came in from the north, walking the PCT around Fontanillis Lake to hike down the falls. Fontanillis Lake has great views of Dick's Peak, Dick's Pass, and Dick's Saddle. That's an even harder day. We helped a through hiker get back on the PCT after he'd taken a wrong turn.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR Desolation-Fontanillis

Post by TahoeJeff »

B I G bruin!
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
Tom_H
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Tom_H »

Nice. I love the initial plunge of water down the pluton at the outlet.
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by rightstar76 »

The Fallen Leaf Lake Quadrangle is one of my favorite in the Sierra Nevada. I like that image you took above Granite Lake with Lake Tahoe in the background. There are so many dramatic and stunning places in the range, but the view of Tahoe from Desolation is practically second to none.