monsoon flow coming

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

monsoon flow coming

Post by SSSdave »

This coming Monday marks the end of an extended June - early July period of breezy weather moving down from the northwest. Forecast now show a typical mid summer extended period of Great Basin Four Corners thermal high pressure that as it bounces back and forth east and west will provide periods of Mexican monsoonal flows up against the Eastern Sierra. First bout due in peaks Thursday. For volcanic geologies areas north of the High Sierra as in north of Yosemite, it is also now about peak of greenery and wildflowers. For those unfamiliar, one excellent popular day hike, especially with women, is from Carson Pass on SR88 to Winnemucca Lake, the peaks above which still have nice areas of melting snows. Don't forget sunscreen, DEET, and a rain jacket.
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: monsoon flow coming

Post by rightstar76 »

Thanks SSSdave for the update. I guess the good times of low humidity are over. But the monsoon has some nice qualities to it notably warmer nighttime dew points so it really feels like summer. Also, dramatic photography during thunderstorms. If you're correct about the greenery being at its peak north of Yosemite, then it is really dry out there. By Labor Day, some water sources are going to be nearly dry. Can visualize lots of exposed water marks on granite by lakes and creeks.
mort
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by mort »

At the southern, western end, the usual summer afternoon t-storms are back. This weeks weather in Lodgepole, SEKI:
forecast.jpg
from http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weathe ... n=USCA1042
forecast updated 7/10
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mort on Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I just got home from 5 days in Big Pine. Clouds built slowly every day, but not threatening. Today the formation was strong enough to put out weather. The Whitney zone was being pounded when I went by at 3:30 and at pm, I got a text that Cloud Ripper was being pounded.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

Jimr wrote:I got a text that Cloud Ripper was being pounded.
Turnabout is fair play, I guess. ;)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Mort,
That above forecast has changed to thunderstorms starting Thur thru next week. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org