TR: Tamarack Lk, Lonely Lk, Tablelands 6/26/18-6/30/18

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cslaght
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR: Tamarack Lk, Lonely Lk, Tablelands 6/26/18-6/30/18

Post by cslaght »

Again, an amazing report Maia. Ever since you had asked for suggestions for this area a few weeks ago, I was waiting for your trip report. Keep up the great work!
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles
hiac
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hiac »

What a nice TR. I just read your other post about the suggestion. and your TR is just in time :)
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

This is one of the finest trip reports I have ever come across. Thanks for posting. Your opening photo is amazing.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

Nice report, I feel like I went with you!
notis
Topix Regular

Post by notis »

Uhg, I friggin love your writing! I enjoy the amount of humor mixed into the technical stuff. I also love the photos. Some of them were seriously incredible--it's nice when the light cooperates. What camera are you using? And lastly, I'm a bit jelly. Had an extremely similar route we attempted in late May, but the snow/weather changed our plans and we had to bail before Pterodactyl Pass. It all looks beauuutiful! Thanks a lot for taking the time to write a great post.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

Such beautiful country and pictures to match. Thanks for taking the time to put your report together for us to see it all.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

notis wrote:Uhg, I friggin love your writing! I enjoy the amount of humor mixed into the technical stuff. I also love the photos. Some of them were seriously incredible--it's nice when the light cooperates. What camera are you using? And lastly, I'm a bit jelly. Had an extremely similar route we attempted in late May, but the snow/weather changed our plans and we had to bail before Pterodactyl Pass. It all looks beauuutiful! Thanks a lot for taking the time to write a great post.
Thank you! Sorry you had to bail on your trip :( I'm using a Panasonic Lumix GX-7 and on this trip I only took my 12-60MM, F3.5-5.6 ASPH. lens. Sometimes I only take a 50mm prime lens, and sometimes I take both.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

That trip does not suck. Nice shots!
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

Thank you for the beautiful trip report. Brings back memories of my trips into the Tablelands. We were there last in mid August 2011 (a heavy snowpack year) and had great wildflowers then, but not as many as you saw.

-Phil
creekfeet
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by creekfeet »

Great report, written with a lot of personality. Really loved the photos, especially of the waterfall at Tamarack, which I feel like is one of the only truly free-falling waterfalls in Sequoia. As for getting "All-Star" stuck in your head, I can relate. I just got back from a trip with a ranger buddy of mind, where I mentioned that he should adopt Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time" as a search and rescue anthem. It didn't leave my head for five days.

If you're lost you can look and you will find me
Time after time
If you fall I will catch you, I'll be waiting
Time after time