Shepherd Pass inquiry

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Shepherd Pass inquiry

Post by bobby49 »

Does anybody have any up-to-date trail information about Shepherd Pass? Specifically, I am interested in whether there is much of a snow field on the headwall near the top. I could bring microspikes and an ice axe if necessary, but I would much prefer to leave that weight behind. I expect to be there in the fourth week of July. I've been over most of the east side passes, but most of them are not quite so steep at the top so that snow is held.
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Shepherd Pass inquiry

Post by rightstar76 »

Bobby49, I saw this on Shepherd Pass on another forum. I hope it helps.
http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/forum ... Post102663
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

That is certainly on-subject, but I have no idea where the Shepherd Pass fire is located. There isn't much to burn right at Shepherd Pass.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Now I see that the fire is between the Shepherd Pass Trailhead and Whitney Portal, down low in the access roads. Hopefully Cal Fire will knock that out quickly.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Shepherd Pass Trail is closed on till further notice.
http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... 73#p137573

PS Will re-open this evening. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

From my view from Google Earth, Shepherd Pass is difficult to see. If you are in Independence or closer to the trailhead, it is blocked from view. If you got northeast of Independence, maybe toward Mazourka Canyon, then it might be visible.

Before I start up there, I might want to look at the snow patch at the pass with a telescope.
ironmike
Topix Regular

Post by ironmike »

bobby49 wrote:From my view from Google Earth, Shepherd Pass is difficult to see. If you are in Independence or closer to the trailhead, it is blocked from view. If you got northeast of Independence, maybe toward Mazourka Canyon, then it might be visible.

Before I start up there, I might want to look at the snow patch at the pass with a telescope.
The pass is definitely visible from south of Independence on the highway
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Are you looking up Symmes Creek, or looking up Shepherd Creek? From where is this visible? Along 395? It seems like if you are in Independence, you can't see over the ridge between Symmes Creek and Shepherd Creek. If you are too far south, then you can't "see around the corner" of the curve of Shepherd Creek.
ironmike
Topix Regular

Post by ironmike »

Slightly south of Independence but north of Manzanar on 395, there is a brief moment where you can peer over the ridge separating the Symmes and Shepherd Creek drainages and see the actual pass.

The long lingering snow field below the east side of the pass is an easy to spot visual cue.
DiamondEyedJack
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by DiamondEyedJack »

You can see the east-side of the pass here, off WhitneyZone.com. Zoom-in to the area under Tyndall, a few pixels will show you the area containing the steep switchbacks just below the pass.

http://www.whitneyzone.com/webcam/will/willi.jpg
Krazy Kat peeking through a lace bandana, like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed jack