Heackel-Wallace Col?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Heackel-Wallace Col?

Post by maverick »

Did some digging, some folks are more visual, so these first two, you may have seen by our member Bluewater, who also has great descriptions on the routes also.
Haeckel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0aIy8WjHpc
Echo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALmKNZHEjhQ

This one gives you a peek at the pass around 1:42, from which you can see the differences between Wallace and Haeckel/Echo, very steep scree on Wallace, and talus/some short climbing involved on the other two.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fAZsxdkGHE
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Hey limpingcrab, did you find the post below, by Moonwalker in your searches? I reckon it is one of the very best written, and gripping tales we've seen in HST. It is about Wallace Col, nearby to the pass you are considering, but it is worth reading again anyway. There is a photo that came with it, and which probably didn't come along with the prose- if you want to see it, it is on page 3 of the thread: "The Worst or Scariest Back Country Pass you've ever done." Best of luck to you guys, Harlen.

Re: The Worst and Scariest Back Country Pass you've done
Postby Moonwalker » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:01 pm

Giantbrookie’s story reminds me of my first experience on Wallace Col, which was the scariest pass I’ve been on. It connects Evolution Basin above Sapphire Lake to the drainage to Sabrina Lake on the east side. I went over with my newly wedded wife, in the early/mid 90’s. I was new to “off-trail” hiking, and though I planned the trip I lacked an appreciation for the dangers of the high Sierra. We went off trail from Helen Lake over Fiske Col and into the basin above Sapphire Lake, made our way across a giant boulder field, and camped at one of the desolate lakes just west of Wallace Col. We were about to exit after about 8 days, and were looking forward to getting cleaned up and meeting friends in Yosemite the following night.

We got up early the next morning. The west side called for some strategy, because parts of it were too steep and loose to rest on, so we had to zig-zag our way up, targeting stable-looking spots to rest at. We felt like a small band of commandos scrambling on all fours toward an enemy front line. One of them suddenly bursts out from his cover and dashes across, hoping the element of surprise protects him from enemy fire. Then there is a tense period, waiting to see if anything is going to happen, and after a few minutes of quiet, the next one takes off to join the first.

We felt that our arrival at the top was quite an achievement, but I was dismayed to see that the other side was noticeably steeper and looser, and there was a horizon line half way down, with who knows what on the other side. The color drained from Emily’s face, and she took a few uncertain steps and sat down on the ridge, not even bothering to find a rock to sit on. It reminded me of a deer who has been chased through the forest by wolves, dodging this way and that, only to reach a clearing and suddenly find she is hemmed in, completely surrounded. She looks one way and then the other, and each time sees only the smirking grimace of yet another hungry member of the pack. Exhausted, her eyes roll back and she collapses to her knees in the middle of the circle, resigned to her fate.

Meanwhile I went to check out the possible routes. I thought I saw a use trail, but it was actually an avalanche slope. I was almost sucked down, but managed to back off in time. Temporarily unmanned by this encounter, I made my way back to report my findings, when just below the lip on the east side, a freezer-sized rock came off in my hand and careened down the slope in front of me, causing an avalanche and a thick dust cloud. For a few seconds I couldn’t see at all! Emily told me she thought I was gone at that point. This was a grim moment for sure, but I was fine and we found strength in each other, and decided to just take it one step at a time. I can’t explain why we didn’t go back the way we had come, except that it would have taken days to get out, and it seemed more or less risky either way. The route down was harrowing, though maybe not as bad as giantbrookie’s description of Kaweah sounded. It was extremely steep and loose, mini avalanches happening at the drop of a hat, and though we had to rely on boulders to keep our selves from cartwheeling down the slope, we couldn’t tell which rocks were firm, and which would just come right out when touched. They seemed to all want to come out! We handled them like they were explosive. It was like tip toeing through a mine field. One step at a time we made our way down, and were just lucky to get down in one piece. Emily had much less back country experience than I did, and her descent was nothing short of heroic. When we got out we were giddy with shock, or maybe from the hours of focus, and we hiked unthinkingly until about 11pm, at which point we lost the trail, and camped right where we were for the rest of the night, so grateful to be alive. A few days later I thought, that can’t have been the right route. But I think it was!
WallaceCol2.jpg
WallaceCol2.jpg (207.33 KiB) Viewed 77 times
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

Thanks a bunch for looking around and helping me decide what to avoid for sure!

I like descriptions and visuals, sometime people say stuff is fine and I see bad potential, other times people are scared off of stuff that seems reasonable.

I have yet to find any pics of the SW side of Haeckel-Wallace col, which kind of concerns me because if it was a good choice I think I’d see more evidence of use. Wallace seems terrible. I might try that myself but not with a group!

Hopefully a walk in permit on a Tuesday efternoon will fork out for Lamarck. Otherwise Echo seems within reason, though a bit out of the way if we’re headed for Davis Lake on the N side of Goddard. I may risk it and try out Heackel-Wallace if it comes down to it :)