Lesson learned - 2nd degree sunburn

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
happycamper0313
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Lesson learned - 2nd degree sunburn

Post by happycamper0313 »

I did an Onion Valley ---> Rae Lakes overnight this past weekend and was treated with great trail and weather conditions. It was my first time in the area and...well, I was blown away. Can't wait to spend a longer trip on the route with my daughter - but this weekend I was there more for a scouting mission to get an idea before I took her.

I knew that exposure was going to be my #1 enemy as I was going over the two passes twice over the course of 36 hrs, so I made sure to pack rain gear, wind protection and sun protection. Long sleeves, hat, glasses, neck cover...the whole shebang.

However, I missed a 2 inch spot on my left wrist where I wear my Fitbit and I got a 2nd degree burn! With all the hiking and sweating, my band must have slipped down further on my wrist and exposed the place I missed. I've lived in Southern California all my life so I've had a ton of sun exposure in my 34 years of life, but this is my first 2nd degree sunburn. It's actually my worst burn ever, blistering more than when I bump my hand on a hot pan or open flame. Ironically, on the top of Glen Pass, I took my sunglasses off to re-apply sunscreen to face and exposed forearms/hands and my eyes must have burned as well because for several hours I had a pink/orange/yellow circular spot in my vision.

I know this is a forum of seasoned pros, but these were some valuable 'live and learn' practical lessons for me: I was prepared and a couple small mistakes with the sun gave me a couple big pains!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lesson learned - 2nd degree sunburn

Post by rlown »

happycamper0313 wrote: However, I missed a 2 inch spot on my left wrist where I wear my Fitbit and I got a 2nd degree burn! With all the hiking and sweating, my band must have slipped down further on my wrist and exposed the place I missed. I've lived in Southern California all my life so I've had a ton of sun exposure in my 34 years of life, but this is my first 2nd degree sunburn. It's actually my worst burn ever, blistering more than when I bump my hand on a hot pan or open flame. Ironically, on the top of Glen Pass, I took my sunglasses off to re-apply sunscreen to face and exposed forearms/hands and my eyes must have burned as well because for several hours I had a pink/orange/yellow circular spot in my vision.

I know this is a forum of seasoned pros, but these were some valuable 'live and learn' practical lessons for me: I was prepared and a couple small mistakes with the sun gave me a couple big pains!
I used to wear a watch, But I stopped because I kinda do "sun time." I don't see a need for a fitbit out there. I haven't worn sunglasses in a long time because I wear prescription glasses, and those prescription sunglasses really don't work for me. I don't seem to have a problem with the vision.

Are you on any prescription meds? side effect? Was there snow?
Close your eyes when applying sunscreen if snow.
happycamper0313
Topix Acquainted

rlown wrote:
happycamper0313 wrote: However, I missed a 2 inch spot on my left wrist where I wear my Fitbit and I got a 2nd degree burn! With all the hiking and sweating, my band must have slipped down further on my wrist and exposed the place I missed. I've lived in Southern California all my life so I've had a ton of sun exposure in my 34 years of life, but this is my first 2nd degree sunburn. It's actually my worst burn ever, blistering more than when I bump my hand on a hot pan or open flame. Ironically, on the top of Glen Pass, I took my sunglasses off to re-apply sunscreen to face and exposed forearms/hands and my eyes must have burned as well because for several hours I had a pink/orange/yellow circular spot in my vision.

I used to wear a watch, But I stopped because I kinda do "sun time." I don't see a need for a fitbit out there. I haven't worn sunglasses in a long time because I wear prescription glasses, and those prescription sunglasses really don't work for me. I don't seem to have a problem with the vision.

Are you on any prescription meds? side effect? Was there snow?
Close your eyes when applying sunscreen if snow.
I am attached to my Fitbit since I lost 115lbs a few years ago - it works into my weight maintenance system and have a hard time being without it. It helps me understand my energy balance :) Losing weight is easy, keeping it off is hard and it's just one of my necessities. It also is a good mileage estimator - I can keep track of how far I've gone and how much further I need to go.

There was no snow except for a small patch that I was facing away from, but Glen pass has several lakes right at the foot and the reflection off water can be just as bad as off snow! I looked right into that beautiful blue water and paid the price :derp:
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I am attached to my Fitbit since I lost 115lbs a few years ago - it works into my weight maintenance system and have a hard time being without it. It helps me understand my energy balance :) Losing weight is easy, keeping it off is hard and it's just one of my necessities. It also is a good mileage estimator - I can keep track of how far I've gone and how much further I need to go.

There was no snow except for a small patch that I was facing away from, but Glen pass has several lakes right at the foot and the reflection off water can be just as bad as off snow! I looked right into that beautiful blue water and paid the price :derp:
How about just strapping it on your shoulder strap, and putting on your arm at night?
As I fish, I'm always staring at a lake.. For hours on end.

Nice on the weight loss though :thumbsup:
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Not a big fan nor do I completely trust sunscreen. Long sleeves, sun-mask and solar gloves for me now. the use of trekking poles puts the tops of those hands into a lot of sun exposure.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
happycamper0313
Topix Acquainted

How about just strapping it on your shoulder strap, and putting on your arm at night?
Brilliant! Don't know why I didn't think of that sooner...
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

On another note - cataract surgery at 33 years old, here, because I did not wear sunglasses ever. :rolleyes:

I wear them now. Don't like eye surgery.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
happycamper0313
Topix Acquainted

Very entertaining and relevant threads. I don't feel like such a derp anymore; looks like this is a fairly well-contemplated and critical part of the experience.

This was also my first 'monsoon season' hike - I felt HOT and very stifled by my long sleeve and neck cover and at times rolled them up. Higher tolerance for long sleeves in humidity needs to be built in my case.

How can you not want to feel that cool, beautiful alpine breeze on your skin after a leg busting climb though? This was very much like the giardia lesson I learned while on my first backpacking trip in the San Bernardino mountains - the allure of cool mountain spring water isn't worth it! I didn't even drink the stuff, just splashed some on my hot face for refreshment!

Thanks for the input!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

You're not a derp..I learned early that long sleeves and long pants are best (sun and mosquitoes and brush) Doesn't matter what the temp is. Sometimes I double the shirt with a thin poly inner and then a long sleeve over that to keep the mosquitoes out. I don't do the neck cover though. As I'm mostly bald, the one thing that bugs me most is the back of my baseball cap where i get burned with that little hole above the strap. Now I slather that spot with SPF15.