Lesson learned - 2nd degree sunburn

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lesson learned - 2nd degree sunburn

Post by maverick »

I felt HOT and very stifled by my long sleeve and neck cover and at times rolled them up. Higher tolerance for long sleeves in humidity needs to be built in my case
I do not wear suntan lotion, or just minimally sometimes, nor deet (at all), what this means, is that I train with similar clothes I intend to hike in while in the Sierra, also including hiking in warmer/hot weather will acclimate your body, build a higher tolerance, but this needs to be done over time, though humid weather training isn't available much in CA. With humid weather one needs to take frequent rest breaks, drinking a lot of water, wet a bandana and put it over your head (your hair, I'm bald :) ), under your hat often, and one around round your neck will keep you cooler, also dunking you shirt is a creek helps too.

No derps here, it's all a learning process, there is a treasure trove of valuable information here on HST, that one can put to great use in their journey in getting better, no matter how many years you have been going out, there really is no such thing as an expert, only self inflated ego's, the only expert is mother nature. ;)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
happycamper0313
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Lesson learned - 2nd degree sunburn

Post by happycamper0313 »

maverick wrote:
I felt HOT and very stifled by my long sleeve and neck cover and at times rolled them up. Higher tolerance for long sleeves in humidity needs to be built in my case
I do not wear suntan lotion, or just minimally sometimes, nor deet (at all), what this means, is that I train with similar clothes I intend to hike in while in the Sierra, also including hiking in warmer/hot weather will acclimate your body, build a higher tolerance, but this needs to be done over time, though humid weather training isn't available much in CA. With humid weather one needs to take frequent rest breaks, drinking a lot of water, wet a bandana and put it over your head (your hair, I'm bald :) ), under your hat often, and one around round your neck will keep you cooler, also dunking you shirt is a creek helps too.

No derps here, it's all a learning process, there is a treasure trove of valuable information here on HST, that one can put to great use in their journey in getting better, no matter how many years you have been going out, there really is no such thing as an expert, only self inflated ego's, the only expert is mother nature. ;)
I used one of the those Bug repellent Bands with lemongrass oils and put it around my hat didn't have any bug issues. With a 9 year old, a bear cannister, a dog and so much hiking exposure, Deet is something I've managed to do away with because so many of the gear and people I hike with cannot handle it. That stuff is nasty for me and my family. Mosquitoes are another reason I always use long sleeves. I like the bug repellent band because it's one less thing I have to put on my skin and it weighs nothing.

https://www.amazon.com/Superband-Premiu ... YT8DV8G49W

As the years go by, I realize the worry is more the elements when you're out in the wilderness. It isn't bears or psychos (as a single woman, everyone in my life lectures me about the irresponsibility of me being out in the wilderness alone or with my daughter: I'm going to get eaten by a bear, or raped by a psycho, or dismembered by a serial killer, or fall off a mountain, etc) and I tell them the thing I am most afraid of is the sun, the wind, the clouds, the rain, and the lightening. :lol: