Ruby Lake to Fourth Recess T/R 1st week of July

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Ruby Lake to Fourth Recess T/R 1st week of July

Post by gary c. »

Made a week long trek from Mosquito Flats over Mono Pass the first week in July. Originally we had planned to hike to and camp at least one night at each destination, Ruby Lake, Fourth Recess Lake, Third Recess Lake, and then Pioneer Lakes Basin with maybe one more stop on our way back over the pass on our way out. Things changed as they often will once on the trail. One of our group Vince, had been having some problems with his knee before the hike even began. The second morning out at Ruby Lake while down on his knees rolling up his tent he felt a sharp pain and it didn’t get any better. By the time we started down the other side of Mono Pass he was in a lot of pain trying to negotiate downhill steps. We made the decision to just stay at Fourth Recess Lake and day hike from there to our other destinations.
We spent Saturday night in the backpacker’s camp at Mosquito Flats. Sunday morning we hiked the short distance to Ruby Lake for the night. Lots of small brookies to be had at Ruby Lake.

Looking down on Ruby Lake from the trail to Mono Pass.

My buddy Marshal is top center in the pic just before the Mono Pass summit. Still a fair bit of snow at 12,200ft elevation for July2nd.

Looking back south from the top of the pass.

We finally made it to Fourth Recess Lake Monday afternoon with Vince and his hurting knee bringing up the rear. Fourth Recess Lake is one of the prettiest lakes I’ve been to in the Sierra. Fishing was easy for small sized Brookies and Rainbows.
Fourth Recess Lake
Fourth Recess Lake
Fourth Recess Lake
Fourth Recess Lake

Tuesday was a lazy day at 4th Recess and Wednesday we day hiked to Third Recess Lake. It was wide open fishing for small Golden hybrids.
Third Recess Lake
Third Recess Lake
Third Recess Lake

Thursday we hiked over to the Pioneer Basin to have a look and do a little more fishing. The lower Lake was just beautiful with nice camp spots and the fishing was also good for the little guys.
Lower Pioneer Lake.
Lower Pioneer Lake.
Lower Pioneer Lake.
Second lake in Pioneer Basin.
Second lake in Pioneer Basin.

Friday morning we broke camp and hiked back up the mountain to Trail Lakes for the night. Brookies were plentiful here but very small in size.
Snow survey cabin at Trail Lakes.
Trout feeding at Trail Lakes. Even one with its head out of the water.

We also hiked up to Neelle Lake while at Trail Lakes and were very happy with the Goldens there.
Neelle Lake
Neelle Lake

Saturday morning we broke camp to start the climb up to the pass and back to Mosquito Flats/truck.

A great bunch of friends to hike with about to start the final decent to the trail head. The top of Mono Pass elevation 12,200ft.

The end of a wonderful trip.

I didn’t take a single fish picture this trip. Mostly just your standard little high mountain trout and Brookies. The one exception was a golden lake that I managed a few decent Goldens with the most beautiful colors I’ve ever seen. They were gorgeous. On our way up towards Trail Lakes on Friday we ran into another group with a HST member who recognized me from my posts on here. Sorry that I forgot his member name. He said that he doesn’t post much but it’s always nice meeting someone from the boards in the backcountry.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
xcountry rider
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Ruby Lake to Fourth Recess T/R 1st week of July

Post by xcountry rider »

Thank you for the trip report and the great pictures! I love that area. I haven't been there for quite and while. I use to access it from the Lake Edison side. Your report brings back a lot of memories.
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular

Post by oldhikerQ »

Thank you for the trip report and inspiring photos.
i'm lobbying for that area to be our destination for the group's 2019 trip.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Thanks Gary for taking the time to create a fine trip report with well composed images and text. Terrific to see a group including wives/SOs and envy how enjoyable that must have been shared together and will continue to be valued long into your futures. For a future trip, as those that obviously enjoy fishing and scenery, will suggest returning some late July to Pioneer Basin, base camping at lake 10862, arguably one of our finest locations in the range.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Thanks Dave, I do feel fortunate to have a wife who enjoys it as much as I do. Her co-workers give her a hard time about a joke that I made about the kind of woman that does it for me is one that will go out for a week and doesn't mind carrying her own little orange shovel. :D
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Jason
Topix Regular

Post by Jason »

Awesome looking trip. I love those lakes with wide open spaces that still have some green around them.
papasequoia
Topix Acquainted

Post by papasequoia »

Another great trip in the books for you, Gary. Congrats and thanks for the cool trip report!
Nature always wins
> miles = < people
stanbery
Topix Acquainted

Post by stanbery »

Very Nice Gary glad you guys had a great trip.

Jon
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Really nice. My wife and I hiked into this area a few years ago, and loved it. We'll go back.

And yes, ain't it great when the love of your life shares the love of your life?
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by windknot »

Great report and photos, Gary. Thanks for sharing and I'm glad you were able to salvage the trip despite your friend's injury!