Trip Advice: Devils Punchbowl and Hell for Sure Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip Advice: Devils Punchbowl and Hell for Sure Lake

Post by AlmostThere »

There were two lightning fires in Mineral King. Should check on those, doesn't do much good to go and find local sources of the smoke...

It was hazy south of SEKI last weekend. It's hazy everywhere. I'm just avoiding places where there are active fires, at this point, and going anyway.
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
mbehlen
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by mbehlen »

I think at this point it is up to the wind gods. I may head up and see and check out last minute conditions tomorrow (Saturday) and if it's to bad just camp at courtright for the night and head back home. If conditions let up, I will continue on the trip.

Thank you everyone for your help and guidance. If you have any updates on fire and smoke conditions I would love to see them through out the day.
limpingcrab
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by limpingcrab »

It was reaaaly gross in shaver today and over by Florence and Edison. A bit north of you but it looked bad in every direction. I’d recommend calling the Clyde Pack Outfit, really nice folks who’d probably give you an honest update of the courtright area.
8F036295-EF58-4AAC-BBE4-79ADFD5DB269.jpeg
Mount Goddard is out there just under and right of the sun somewhere.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mbehlen
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by mbehlen »

Alright everyone! I went out there anyway and it was beautiful! The skies were blue and the haze was very minimal all considering. I will post a trip report in the next few days!