Walk-in for Bubbs? Gambling?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Turtleggjp
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Walk-in for Bubbs? Gambling?

Post by Turtleggjp »

I tried to get a Bubbs permit last Friday at 1PM to start on Saturday. The first guy in line took 4 out of the 5 available permits, and I needed 2. The others in line with me (one of which had come from Yosemite, as Maverick said) we also going for Bubbs Creek, and had to alter their plans accordingly. I was able to get a same day start permit instead, since that had not yet filled. Big gamble for sure right now, if starting on the weekend. Probably better to start from the east side if possible, as others have suggested.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

We don't think you can go wrong, as long as you're not on too tight a schedule- those are all great entry points... and BTW, you guys are heading up 4 of my favorite mountains- all are brilliant vantage points, and for me- all have just enough sharpness and exposure to make the climbing interesting. We've never done the first pass you mentioned- "Joe's?", but Lucy's Foot Path puts you right beneath the west side of Erickson, which provides an easy, but intricate route up.

commonloon writes:
We are considering Shepherd's also. It is actually a little shorter and I kind of enjoy Shepherd's. It is dramatic. Of course, this time of year it is also hot as hell on the lower bits. Kearsarge is easy, but the only times when I felt altitude sickness in the Sierra were when I hiked in via it. Something about the drive up/start altitude, I think.
Re. the altitude problem with KPass, if you can get any kind of an early start up, you can do the easy 4.7 miles up very fast, and then bail down, down, to either Vidette Meadows, (4.5 miles from KPass, elev~9,800') or Junction Meadow (8.5 miles from KPass, ~8,200'). This is a nice way to avoid altitude issues if, like us, you are coming from near sea level. We wish you the best on your trip, the Harlens.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Thanks again everyone.

We got a walk-in for 2; last 2 spots left (after some no shows). We camped at Lake Reflection (what a BEAUTIFUL lake!!), went up Little Joe's, summited Ericsson (the summit block was awesome!), then Tyndall (wonderful slab climbing/cool ridge line/views), over Forester pass and then took a look at Stanford from the east... it looked like a Talus marathon approach and decided to skip it for now. The bugs levels were in general down. We had T-storms each day late afternoon, but not too bad. Smoke was never an issue surprisedly... I will try to post a TR in the near future.