Tuolumne Meadows smoke concerns? Alternate trip advice?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mrphil
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Tuolumne Meadows smoke concerns? Alternate trip advice?

Post by mrphil »

I am going to disagree with that last advice. If you know you are not going to use your permit, please cancel it so that the rangers can put it into play immediately, rather than waiting for you to show up, and then offering it to someone much later in the day when you fail to appear...
I would normally completely agree with you, but this is an extenuating circumstance that goes well beyond someone simply changing their mind or altering a schedule that's completely within their own control. If the OP is already wisely making other arrangements and they come through, yeah, sure, cancel as early as possible for the potential benefit of others. If it clears up though, great, he's still covered, hedges his bets, and saves his original trip. If it doesn't, I have my doubts that the daily quota of 25 people is going to be met by demand in these conditions anyhow.

He's waiting to see what smoke and fire are going to do, not to see if Aunt Mildred is actually going to go through with her 4th wedding, or if something better comes along between now and August 1st. That would be rude and upsetting, but even if I was standing in line at TM waiting for the exact same permit that day, I think I would give him a freebie and be okay with waiting another couple hours on this one.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

I'm not suggesting that he cancel immediately--just that he notify the rangers when and if he does decide to cancel. just common consideration for other hikers.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
gorgbroza
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by gorgbroza »

First off, thank you all for your advice! I'm grateful for the wisdom shared, and you've definitely made this newcomer feel welcome.

@rightstar76 - Thanks so much for the alternate recommendations. I was able to book a permit for the Glen Alpine TH. Mt. Tallac looks like a perfect day hike for us.

I'll hang on to the Cathedral Lakes permit through the weekend, hope for the best, but most likely cancel on Monday so folks hardier than us can take our place.
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
davidsheridan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by davidsheridan »

Mount Tallac is awesome day hike! Good backup plan!