SEKI itinerary question

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

SEKI itinerary question

Post by SSSdave »

SEKI itinerary question. Have carefully read info on the SEKI web site and tried calling Inyo NF several times this week but line just rings. SEKI contact page suggests emailing but that could take days for an answer.

A few areas in SEKi like Rae lakes, Hamilton Lake, and Dusy Basin have camping limits of a day or two. In the case of Dusy Basin it is two days maximum. Their web site does not elaborate on whether one can say hike in there from South Lake, spend 2 days, the continue on down to the Middle Fork of the Kings in Le Conte Canyon to camp a few days, and then on the return spend another 2 days in Dusy Basin before returning to the South Lake trailhead. Same thing for Hamilton Lake that has a one day limit. Can one camp there a day, then go over the Kaweah Gap and camp in Big Arroyo x days, and then on the return camp a second time for one day at Hamilton Lake before returning to Giant Forest?

My expectation is yes. But then what if one camps say at Dusy Basin 2 nights, then goes beyond that basin proper through Knapsack Pass into Palisade Basin for one night, and then goes back through the Knapsack into Dusy Basin? Can one camp there again 2 nights? Same thing at Rae Lakes going into Sixty Lakes Basin and the returning to Rae Lakes.

My suspicion is there is no policy for such a circumstance because those creating the policy of simple mind were trying to reduce impacts in places like Rae Lakes that have lots of groups on loop trips or thru hikers going in and out to resupply. My own experience is 95% of visitors don't ever go beyond short distances from the trails and trailside lakes so they ought not be concerned of a few peak baggers or others with different styles as long as they technically meet their simple policies as stated. Note I rarely camp anywhere near trails or popular lake edges and tend to be LNT minimalist, so am not at all the intended target of their policy.
Last edited by SSSdave on Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chulavista
Topix Acquainted

Re: SEKI itinerary question

Post by chulavista »

I think that is ok, but in that situation I personally would camp away from the usual spots and I would make sure to not build a fire (although dusy basin is too high anyways).
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

PM sent.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Thanks Maverick, what I expected. Since the Sabrina/North Fork road is likely to remain closed for a week or more, South Lake, Big Pine Creek, and Pine Creek are obvious alternative trailheads I'm making plans for. A couple days in Dusy, one in Palisade, then another in Dusy is my Plan C. Plan B is over Pine Creek Pass into the Puppet/L bench lakes. Will see what we can manage walk up.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Since the Sabrina/North Fork road is likely to remain closed for a week
Road reopens tonight Dave: http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... 10#p138371
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Seems like WD answered your question in 2016:
http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... 26#p110434

I looked up the 2017 Superintendent's Compendium for SEKI as well as the Wilderness Trip Planner which includes Minimum Impact Restrictions. I couldn't find an official answer.

My speculation is that it's 2 nights PER trip. So after you've used them up, you can't get around the restriction by moving camp one night and returning the next. If you want more nights, you'll have to complete your trip and get a new wilderness permit.

Of course, there are grey areas as to the enforcement of this restriction. I doubt that if you returned on the same trip you'd be noticed. But then again, rangers read these forums too. Just sayin'...
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

rightstar76 wrote:Seems like WD answered your question in 2016:
http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... 26#p110434

I looked up the 2017 Superintendent's Compendium for SEKI as well as the Wilderness Trip Planner which includes Minimum Impact Restrictions. I couldn't find an official answer.

My speculation is that it's 2 nights PER trip. So after you've used them up, you can't get around the restriction by moving camp one night and returning the next. If you want more nights, you'll have to complete your trip and get a new wilderness permit.

Of course, there are grey areas as to the enforcement of this restriction. I doubt that if you returned on the same trip you'd be noticed. But then again, rangers read these forums too. Just sayin'...
Maverick spoke with backcountry rangers about this a few years ago. Agreed with my scenario that meets the policy as written that is targeting the numerous loop and thru hikers due to impacts near trails and not a few hard core LNT oriented peakbaggers or photographers, especially if they just stay 2 nights in a row and are way off from usage areas.