TR: Twin Lakes/Benson Lake Loop, 7/14-7/21

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tmorton23
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: TR: Twin Lakes/Benson Lake Loop, 7/14-7/21

Post by tmorton23 »

maverick wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:51 pm TMorton,
Please check you PM, there is an on-going SAR incident in that area, have some questions. Thanks
Maverick,

I sent a PM to you. Just wondering if you received it. I have messages sitting in my outbox, but not my sent messages.
grampy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by grampy »

TMorton (or anyone else)-
I am planning pretty much this same loop (but heading in via Peeler Lake rather than Rock Island Pass) beginning Sept 4. Do you know if there are any areas of concern for “late season” water availability, particularly between Burro Pass and Mule Pass ? Thanks ! Grampy
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

That area has slide creek in it. Should run all summer
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
tmorton23
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by tmorton23 »

grampy wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:15 pm TMorton (or anyone else)-
I am planning pretty much this same loop (but heading in via Peeler Lake rather than Rock Island Pass) beginning Sept 4. Do you know if there are any areas of concern for “late season” water availability, particularly between Burro Pass and Mule Pass ? Thanks ! Grampy
The stretch between Burro and Mule passes shouldn't have any water concerns. As you drop from Burro Pass, there are a couple of shallow lakes a short distance from the trail (where we camped) and Piute Creek should be flowing. As you drop from Mule Pass, there is a lake right at the base of Slide Mountain. I did make sure when I was going up Matterhorn Canyon (approaching Burro Pass) that I filled up from Matterhorn Creek before the trail curves away from the creek, but that was just me being cautious. I think most of the trail is relatively near water, so you should be OK.
Stanley Otter
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Stanley Otter »

Thanks for the TR and photos. As others have said, it's too bad about the smoke -- it looked like it was worst on your last day at least. I hiked the Robinson Lakes to Burro Pass section a few years ago -- it was nice to see your photos of other territory in the area for future trip inspiration.
Roaring in my ears,
the mountain temple's silence.
Nobody else here!
-- Edith Schiffert