Route advice- Heackel Col vs Echo Col

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
river0013
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Route advice- Heackel Col vs Echo Col

Post by river0013 »

I have a trip starting Aug 20th out of Sabrina Lake and heading into Evolution Basin, then returning via Lamarck Col. Would like to hear suggestions for Heackel vs Echo Col. I've considered Darwin Col too, but I'd rather do more of a loop than a lollipop route. I'll be starting my 2nd day from Midnight, Hungry Packer, or Moonlight Lake. I've done Granite-Bear, Royce-Merriam, Puppet, Iceberg (without snow)->Minaret. Looks like I'll be solo with a 25-30lb pack.

Also- first post from me. HST has been such an amazing resource for planning my summer backpacking trips to the Sierras the last 3 years- thanks! I'll be sure contribute with a great TR of whichever col I end up going over.

Chad
dgravlin
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Route advice- Heackel Col vs Echo Col

Post by dgravlin »

I did Haeckel Col (not Wallace-Haeckel col) last October. Straight forward, and easy to identify, solid talus leading up to it. The last 30' are some fun, safe, class 3 ledges. I hiked past Echo Col also, on the way to climb Wallace. It seemed much looser on the west side, but I did not go over it. Haeckel will get you into Evolution faster. There is a post on this site that details a route similar to yours (they left Darwin Bench via Darwin col, not Lamarck.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

I’ve been over all four (Haeckel, Echo, Darwin, Lamarck). In my experience I would recommend entering via Lamarck because it is the easiest pass with the heavy food load on the first day.

But if exiting via Lamarck I would enter via Echo just to see the most terrain before exiting. It makes the largest loop and I really like the meadow along the outlet of Echo Lake and the outlet of Helen Lake is beautiful! Black Giant is a fun climb from a base amp at Helen Lake. Great view and an easy 13’er.

Also, if you end up entering via Lamarck, the exit via Echo is the second easiest.

For a shorter loop I would take Haeckel. It’s easier than Echo and drops you right into Saphire Lake. The climb down the west side is a little tricky near the top. If you end up goi g that way I can send a detailed map of the west side descent route.

I would not recommend entering via Darwin Col. There is a large steep and loose scree slope on the east side that would be a challenge to ascend. It was fun to descend though!

I usually travel light and like to cover 8-10 mpd on xc terrain. Im not sure that is helpful but I wanted to give some reference.

Have fun.
river0013
Topix Newbie

Post by river0013 »

Bluewater wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:05 pm
But if exiting via Lamarck I would enter via Echo just to see the most terrain before exiting. It makes the largest loop and I really like the meadow along the outlet of Echo Lake and the outlet of Helen Lake is beautiful! Black Giant is a fun climb from a base amp at Helen Lake. Great view and an easy 13’er.

For a shorter loop I would take Haeckel. It’s easier than Echo and drops you right into Saphire Lake. The climb down the west side is a little tricky near the top. If you end up goi g that way I can send a detailed map of the west side descent route.
I was looking at that Helen Lake to Black Giant option if I went over Echo. How was camping at Helen Lake? Looking at topo and sun/shade it seemed like it might feel like it was in a hole? I was leaning more towards Wanda or McGee for 2nd night because they seemed like they would get better light for sunset and morning alpenglow pictures.

I'm leaning toward Heackel so if you can send that detailed map of the west side decent route that would be great. 900' drop in 0.3 miles sounds brutal...so I'll gladly accept route advice.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Camping at Helen Lake was great. There is a nice little stark plateau set well above the trail and lake across from the JMT above the south/southeast shoreline with amazing views of the alpenglow on Black Giant and the sunrise on the peaks and ridges above the lake. More details here:

http://seatosummitultralight.blogspot.c ... -loop.html

The map and route details from my trip over Haeckel are here:

http://seatosummitultralight.blogspot.c ... etail.html

Have fun!

Sunrise on Helen Lake:
IMG_0633.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.