You too can lose 10 lbs. in a day

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

You too can lose 10 lbs. in a day

Post by hikerduane »

Went on a long dayhike with a little older guy who likes being out all day. Well, that turned into overnight as well. I left him behind after we were bush whacking for 30 minutes on the way back after summiting a peak at 5PM. He likes XC travel. Took us almost seven hours to get to the summit with a break and a late lunch. I wasnt prepared for such a long hike, only lunch and two quarts water. Was able to replenish my water a few times. I never found the original trail after I out paced him, think I hit another drainage. So bush whacked a total of maybe 4 1/4 hours, 45 minutes of trail/game trail the next morning. My dog and I slept along a burnt log, stopping just before 8:30PM. Up at 6 the next morning for the final 90 minutes of hiking. Temps maybe in the 50's, I shivered a few times. Only my shirt and hiking pants, Repo pup slept above me as we were on a slope. Weighed myself when I got home. Even after a Snapple and some water I had lost 10 lbs. What a diet. Did not need a fire, plenty of tp in my daypack with matches.
I stumbled, rolled, tripped, all skinned up, head to shins, almost slid into a gully, ruined my zip off pants, ripped a big hole in the butt. Look like my clothes hadn't been washed in a few months. Did I mention trying to avoid poison oak too? Worst experience ever. Topped my bp trip from a few weeks back.
Duane
Piece of cake.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: You too can lose 10 lbs. in a day

Post by Jimr »

The day hike that never ends. Glad you got back safe and sort of sound.

My wife once told me that I could lose 10 lbs of unsightly fat if I just chopped off my head.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by rightstar76 »

Jimr, that's hillarious. :D

Hikerduane, where was this summit you climbed?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

My wife once told me that I could lose 10 lbs of unsightly fat if I just chopped off my head.
:lol:

Glad to read your story ended up well. Yes, what peak was this?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Chambers Peak, over 8,000', or 6,000', cant make out the elev. on my map. TH is across from the former Injun Jim CG. Between Tobin and Belden.
Had a longer reply, but DISH lost my connection.
Duane
Piece of cake.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

hikerduane wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:30 pm Chambers Peak, over 8,000', or 6,000', cant make out the elev. on my map. TH is across from the former Injun Jim CG. Between Tobin and Belden.
Had a longer reply, but DISH lost my connection.
Duane
I suspected it was somewhere in the northernmost Sierra from the description. What an ordeal. I have had some very long dayhikes that ended in pitch darkness but nothing like yours. Your Chambers Pk epic reminds me a combo geology-fishing afternoon daytrip that went a bit overtime in Bucks Lake Wilderness back in the mid 90s. Lots of brush on that one, but not anywhere near as much as you dealt with and I made it back without having to overnight. The biggest inconvenience for me was that I returned to Quincy after all of my favorite eating places there were closed.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

I've gained six lbs. back, didnt think I would have been that dehydrated. Going jogging in a few, my twice a week thing. Still hurts moving around, pup was back to biting his leash on a walk after dinner yesterday.
Duane
Piece of cake.
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Well, you summited ;-) Good that it didn't turn cold and you made it home safe.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Thank you.
Duane
Piece of cake.