TR: SHR & SoSHR Bits in SEKI July 18-30 2018

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: SHR & SoSHR Bits in SEKI July 18-30 2018

Post by maiathebee »

Very cool TR! I just got back from a little trip that went over Junction Pass and I feel your pain about the south side. That steep loose scree slope wasn't a lot of fun going down but must be downright miserable to ascend. And then all that talus, only to find yourself 1500 feet below Shepherds after all that work!
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by windknot »

Stanley Otter wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:27 pm...BART from Richmond to SFO arriving at about 10:30 PM...12:05 AM PDT red eye flight from SFO to ORD.
Wow. Did you plan it out exactly this way or did you give yourself plenty of buffer time and with the delays it just worked out that you arrived exactly 1.5 hours ahead of your outbound flight? An impressive report, but I'm almost more impressed at the commitment to public transportation the whole way!
Stanley Otter
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Stanley Otter »

maiathebee wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:01 am Very cool TR! I just got back from a little trip that went over Junction Pass and I feel your pain about the south side. That steep loose scree slope wasn't a lot of fun going down but must be downright miserable to ascend. And then all that talus, only to find yourself 1500 feet below Shepherds after all that work!
Thanks for the note. I know, right? Here's some more just for fun and profit.

Dennis
Jcn Pass A.jpg
Jcn Pass B.jpg
Jcn Pass C.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Roaring in my ears,
the mountain temple's silence.
Nobody else here!
-- Edith Schiffert
Stanley Otter
Topix Regular

Post by Stanley Otter »

windknot wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:32 am
Stanley Otter wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:27 pm...BART from Richmond to SFO arriving at about 10:30 PM...12:05 AM PDT red eye flight from SFO to ORD.
Wow. Did you plan it out exactly this way or did you give yourself plenty of buffer time and with the delays it just worked out that you arrived exactly 1.5 hours ahead of your outbound flight? An impressive report, but I'm almost more impressed at the commitment to public transportation the whole way!
It was just luck that I had a 2.5 hour window to begin with and Amtrak only ate an hour of it. I wasn't so fortunate in my use of public transportation on the trip from home. In my limited experience, I have found YARTS and ESTA to be very reliable, and for the most part I find it relaxing although it can be time consuming. I really cannot afford to rent a car and leave it sit for two or three weeks, so I don't have all that much choice in the matter. I want to start exploring the western approaches to the Sierra via Emigrant and SEKI, but these appear to be more difficult to access via public transportation. The recent Great Western Divide trip report has me all in a lather... Something to dream and scheme about this winter.
Roaring in my ears,
Nobody else here!
-- Edith Schiffert
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I really enjoyed your excellent photos, as usual. Interesting variations you did on the SHR. I have always wondered about Junction Pass. I think we who live close by are not aware of the logistics required to do backpack trips far from home using public transportation and car rentals. It seems you have the routine figured out. Yes, do come back again to do more trips!
Stanley Otter
Topix Regular

Post by Stanley Otter »

Thanks, WD. My Belovéd insisted we buy a new vehicle last month for the first time since the early aughts, so the 16 year old minivan devolved to me. I'm thinking of tossing the rear seats into the garage for an instant Sierra Mobile conversion. Don't look for me in the upper midwest next summer... \:D/
Roaring in my ears,
Nobody else here!
-- Edith Schiffert