TRs one in February one in July Two sets of Twin Lakes

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cslaght
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

TRs one in February one in July Two sets of Twin Lakes

Post by cslaght »

<r>Ok, so I know these are ridiculously late, but wanted to share some of these .<br/>
The first trip, my dad and I did a really quick trip up to Twin Lakes in February. The idea was to ski in, but the snow level wasn't consistent until about 9,200 ft at this point. It was the following week that the snows really came in, so you're welcome? So we did it as a hike, and it was surprisingly mild until about 5 miles in (over Cahoon Gap it began to feel like February mountains a bit). A funny bit about this is that we were both struggling more than normal and after the last creek crossing, it was around 2 PM, and we were debating on camping there at the creek or continuing the last climb to the lake about 1.5 miles away. We decided we were 60/40 good to go, and five minutes after that we caught up to some young whippersnappers that passed us hours ago and that really rejuvenated us, and the motivation got us to the lake with plenty of light to spare. <br/>
<br/>

ImageDSC_2027 by Charles Slaght, on Flickr

ImageDSC_2037 by Charles Slaght, on Flickr

ImageDSC_2054 by Charles Slaght, on Flickr

For the second trip, my parents and I took my boys (7-8 at the time) on their first backpacking trip. The original plan was to go to Dinkey Lakes, but with road washouts, we changed to the North slope of the Kaiser Wilderness and hiked in to Upper Twin Lake, about 3 miles in. We did 2 nights there and there was no smoke from the Ferguson Fire that was going out of control at the time, and there were several thunderstorms around, but we stayed dry. We camped on the ridge above the lake overlooking the north into the South Fork San Joaquin River drainage. We did a day trip to George Lake on our layover day. I was impressed with their effort and help, and I think they would want to do it again.

ImageDSC_2089 by Charles Slaght, on Flickr

That face you make when you hear thunder in the distance
ImageDSC_2181 by Charles Slaght, on Flickr

ImageDSC_2114 by Charles Slaght, on Flickr

ImageDSC_2224 by Charles Slaght, on Flickr

ImageDSC_2219 by Charles Slaght, on Flickr

ImageDSC_2236 by Charles Slaght, on Flickr

ImageDSC_2249 by Charles Slaght, on Flickr
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles