Solitude in Big Pine North Fork Lakes?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
BigMan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Solitude in Big Pine North Fork Lakes?

Post by BigMan »

I snagged a reservation for Big Pine North Fork for this Thursday.

Planning to stay 5 nights. During a holiday weekend. And hoping for some solitude.

I know, right? :D

Any campsite recommendations?

Thanks.

Geoff
In wilderness lies the hope of the world.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Solitude in Big Pine North Fork Lakes?

Post by maverick »

And hoping for some solitude.
:lol: :lol:

Stay away from 1st, 2nd, 3rd Lakes, try Black or Summit Lakes, or for the ultimate solitude, the unnamed lakes between 3rd and Black Lake, approaching them by leaving the trail halfway between 4th Lake and Black Lake, then head east to the lakes, makes a nice basecamp. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
BigMan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BigMan »

Thanks Maverick.

Well, as it turns out, a spot for Sabrina Basin just became available, so I jumped on it. T'was my first choice, actually. \:D/

(Which means there's now one available reservation for NF Big Pine for this Thursday, in case anyone's interested.)

Based on all the helpful trip reports and advice from posters here, I hold the impression that Sabrina Basin, compared to Big Pine, offers many more areas to explore and more opportunities for solitude.

Now I just have to wonder if 5 nights is enough! :paranoid:
In wilderness lies the hope of the world.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Based on all the helpful trip reports and advice from posters here, I hold the impression that Sabrina Basin, compared to Big Pine, offers many more areas to explore and more opportunities for solitude.
Not really, Big Pine has some fabulous views, you can hike to the Pali Glacier and visit beautiful Sam Mack meadow on the way, you can also go over Contact Pass into the South Fork drainage area to visit some beautiful lakes too, which offer much more solitude than the North Fork (Finger, Brainerd, Willow, Elinore Lake), to extend your trip. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by oleander »

South end of Sixth Lake is off the main trail and looked like a scenic spot for some solitude.