Itinerary Suggestions: Red Peak Pass Loop from Quartz Mountain Trailhead?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tmorton23
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Itinerary Suggestions: Red Peak Pass Loop from Quartz Mountain Trailhead?

Post by tmorton23 »

So, I'll be making a counter-clockwise loop over Red Peak Pass from the Quartz Mountain trailhead starting this weekend, and I would appreciate any suggestions regarding my itinerary. This will also be my first solo trip, so I am limiting cross-country travel until I'm a little more comfortable going solo. My itinerary is:

Day 1 - Trailhead to Chain Lakes
Day 2 - Chain Lakes to Anne Lake
Day 3 - Anne Lake to Unnamed Lake below Isberg Pass
Day 4 - Unnamed Lake to Red Devil Lake
Day 5 - Red Devil Lake to Upper or Lower Merced Pass Lake
Day 6 - Upper or Lower Merced Pass Lake to Chain Lakes
Day 7 - Chain Lakes to Trailhead

It's the Day 5 that I would like suggestions. Arial research seems to suggest that Lower is more scenic, but Upper is more secluded. Is that an accurate assumption. I'm bypassing staying at Lower Ottoway because I'm looking for more solitude, and from what I have read, Lower Ottoway seems to be a popular stop before climbing Red Peak Pass.

I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Itinerary Suggestions: Red Peak Pass Loop from Quartz Mountain Trailhead?

Post by balzaccom »

Actually, we thought Upper Merced Pass Lake was nicer that Lower. FWIW.

And Lower Ottaway may be more popular (relatively speaking), but it is also stunning, and has lots of nooks and crannies that make for private campsites. This isn't the JMT--but some magazine posted the Red Peak Pass route as an "epic" trip in Yosemite. that was enough to make it a lot more popular than it was ten years ago.

Lake 10005 below Isberg Pass (the larger of the two lakes) is lovely---lots of 8-11 inch brookies there. And a nice spot to camp in the trees on the northwest corner of the lake.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

I agree with Balzacom about Lower Ottaway over Merced Pass lakes. Lake 10005 is a nice place to stop as well but he over estimates the size of the fish! South end of Red Devil has a great spot for swimming.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
tmorton23
Topix Acquainted

Post by tmorton23 »

balzaccom wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:31 pm Actually, we thought Upper Merced Pass Lake was nicer that Lower. FWIW.

And Lower Ottaway may be more popular (relatively speaking), but it is also stunning, and has lots of nooks and crannies that make for private campsites. This isn't the JMT--but some magazine posted the Red Peak Pass route as an "epic" trip in Yosemite. that was enough to make it a lot more popular than it was ten years ago.

Lake 10005 below Isberg Pass (the larger of the two lakes) is lovely---lots of 8-11 inch brookies there. And a nice spot to camp in the trees on the northwest corner of the lake.
balzaccom: Thanks for the info for Lake 10005. My aerial research suggested the same location.

Lower Ottoway seems to be the place to camp. I've seen pictures and it looks fantastic. Because I will be coming from Red Devil Lake, I'll evaluate my situation when I reach it. It will make for a longer day to reach Lower Chain Lake, but it seems that I may regret not camping at Lower Ottoway.
tmorton23
Topix Acquainted

Post by tmorton23 »

oldranger wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:44 pm I agree with Balzacom about Lower Ottaway over Merced Pass lakes. Lake 10005 is a nice place to stop as well but he over estimates the size of the fish! South end of Red Devil has a great spot for swimming.
oldranger: I appreciate the info on Red Devil Lake. It looks like a fantastic lake!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

It looks like a fantastic lake!
It will be one one the highlites of your trip. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Red Devil Lake, the pass itself, and Lower Ottoway Lakes are beautiful. I thought Upper Merced Pass Lake was somewhat nice, although at the time of year I was there it was buggy. But it was nowhere close to the level of Red Devil or Lower Ottoway for scenic beauty. You can see my trip report here:

http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... ay#p110480