TR Minaret Lake 8/26-8/27

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
nightowl
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR Minaret Lake 8/26-8/27

Post by nightowl »

Quick overnighter trip to Minaret Lake, a spot I've been wanting to visit for so long.

Smoke: We could smell the slightest trace of smoke in the air, and the sunset Saturday night was actually quite incredible because of the smokey conditions. The light rays behind the mountain were enhanced and threw some nice color into the sky.

Mosquitoes: None

Trail Stats: We clocked in at 13 miles roundtrip with 2,586 feet total of elevation gain.

Starting at 7,562 ft, we headed south from the parking lot onto the JMT, crossed a bridge over the Middle Fork San Joaquin River, and then headed north through the trees. After 0.75 miles, we passed the North/South junction for the PCT. After heading left here, the trail steadily climbs up through the trees, gaining some slight elevation the entire time.

After rock hopping across Minaret Creek for the first time of the day, we reached our first lake of the day.. Johnston Lake (8,127')! The lake was quite marshy, but there were some nice spots in the shade to relax and watch the dragonflies flying low across the meadows.
backpacking-minaret-lake-302667.jpg
After lunch we steadily climbed another ~600 feet over another two miles before turning a bend and seeing an enormous waterfall cascading down the side of the mountain!
backpacking-minaret-lake-06664.jpg
This entire time we hadn't had a single glimpse of the Minarets that we would be camping beneath. It wasn't until we turned a bend late in afternoon that we finally saw the tips of the jagged peaks in the distance above the nearby trees. After gaining a little more elevation, we finally saw the entire Ritter Range in all of its glory.
backpacking-minaret-lake-06694.jpg
The final mile to Minaret Lake was the hardest and the steepest. Since we didn't get to acclimate by sleeping at elevation the night before, we were feeling the altitude and had to take a break every 15 minutes on the final climb to catch our breath. Finally we started seeing pools of water, and eventually we arrived on the shore of gorgeous Minaret Lake!
backpacking-minaret-lake-302693.jpg
backpacking-minaret-lake-302801.jpg
We found a nice, well-protected campsite on the southeast shore of the lake that still had views of the tops of the mountains. After pitching our tent, we headed down to the shore to pump some water and take an afternoon dip.
backpacking-minaret-lake--3.jpg
As the sun started to set, the light rays created by the shadows of the peaks became more and more pronounced. All day we could detect the faintest trace of smoke in the air from all the wildfires California has been battling, and as late afternoon rolled around, we could visibly see the haze settling into the basin, even up here at 9,800 ft.
backpacking-minaret-lake-06863.jpg
That sunset ended up being one of the most memorable I've experienced in the backcountry. We watched the final light rays radiating up from behind the mountains glow from yellow to orange before the sky darkened and blue hour set in.

Although smokey conditions can be considered a drawback for many, there is a silver lining of having smoke in the air - sunsets are so much more unique and colorful.
backpacking-minaret-lake--2.jpg
backpacking-minaret-lake-06991.jpg
We headed to bed early in normal backcountry fashion, and woke at dawn to catch the sunrise. Although we didn't get glassy lake conditions because of a slight wind in the air, we were treated to smoke-free, crystal clear skies. I scaled the ridge on the eastern shore to get a better vantage point of the multi-lobed lake and enjoyed some peaceful moments watching a fly fisherman steadily cast his line back and forth.
backpacking-minaret-lake-302847.jpg
The hike back took us 3.5 hours at a leisurely pace - the perfect weekend excursion from the Bay Area. Can't wait to go back to explore more of the lakes and peaks in the area!
More photos and GPS route in my blog post here: http://www.backcountrycow.com/blog/back ... ke-mammoth
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tie
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: TR Minaret Lake 8/26-8/27

Post by tie »

Thanks for the TR. You should go back; it is 100x better with clean air.
davidsheridan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by davidsheridan »

Thanks for the TR! I really liked the smokey sunset pictures and also the leaping sillouette picture! - that is a classic. I went up there 3 years ago and also was surprised at how winded I was on Day 1 without acclimating.
BigMan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BigMan »

Geat, succinct TR. And fantastic pictures. Thanks for sharing.
In wilderness lies the hope of the world.
nightowl
Topix Acquainted

Post by nightowl »

The mountains were completely transformed the next morning with a couple hours of clear air! Would love to make the climb up to Iceberg and Cecile for sure!
tie wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:48 am Thanks for the TR. You should go back; it is 100x better with clean air.
nightowl
Topix Acquainted

Post by nightowl »

Thanks so much! With such a short trip squeezed into the weekend we didn’t get the luxury of acclimating the night before! It’s def not a walk in the park up to the lake, and that extra challenge made arriving at the lake that much more rewarding.
davidsheridan wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:21 am Thanks for the TR! I really liked the smokey sunset pictures and also the leaping sillouette picture! - that is a classic. I went up there 3 years ago and also was surprised at how winded I was on Day 1 without acclimating.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

One of the best zones to semi base camp about for several days with aesthetics peaking late July. Like the rest of the metavolcanic Ritter Range, colorful wildflowers love its rich mineral soils. Although I have been there several times, there is still much I have yet explored, especially up about the spires.
nightowl
Topix Acquainted

Post by nightowl »

Very cool to learn the wildflowers do so well up there because of the soil! Can’t wait to go back.
SSSdave wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:07 am One of the best zones to semi base camp about for several days with aesthetics peaking late July. Like the rest of the metavolcanic Ritter Range, colorful wildflowers love its rich mineral soils. Although I have been there several times, there is still much I have yet explored, especially up about the spires.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Will see a lot of usual Ritter Range flowers on this old link. Minaret Lake areas are at the end.

http://www.davidsenesac.com/Minarets_20 ... _2006.html
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

The leaping silhouette picture was great. Must've taken a few tries for that one. Thanks for posting