Walker Lake Trail Question

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
RichardK
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Walker Lake Trail Question

Post by RichardK »

We were in June Lake last week and drove to the Walker Lake/Mono Pass trailhead off the June Lake Loop. We missed the main trail to Walker Lake. Instead, we hiked southeast on a trail that eventually crested a ridge with a view of Walker Lake. My GPS told me that we were not on the intended trail. So, we turned back. I cannot find any information about this trail. I assume that it drops down to join the Walker Lake to Sardine Lakes trail, but I don't know that for a fact. Can you shed any light on this trail? Thank you!
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: Walker Lake Trail Question

Post by balzaccom »

That's the trail. It takes you up on the ridge to the South of Walker Lake and goes downhill fast and hits the West end of the lake, where you can then go up to Sardine Lakes...or hike around Walker Lake.

I've always thought it was structured this way to give some privacy to the Walker Lake Resort...but have no idea if that's true.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
RichardK
Topix Novice

Re: Walker Lake Trail Question

Post by RichardK »

There are two trails out of this trailhead. One gains a small ridge immediately where you can see Walker Lake below. The other trail is flat for about 3/4 mile before climbing a ridge with a steep drop ahead, but you are already well past Walker Lake. The first trail is what all the guidebooks talk about. I can find no mention of the second trail. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about the second trail.

Here is a map with both trails. The long track that drops immediately to Walker Lake and continues to Lower Sardine Lake is the one that everyone knows. The shorter track is from my GPS. This trail heads southwest, climbs a ridge, and descends steeply. I assume that it joins the first track somewhere below. When it became obvious from the GPS that we were on the wrong trail, we turned around and went back.