TR: Mount Brewer and Beyond, Aug 30 - Sept 4, 2018

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Mount Brewer and Beyond, Aug 30 - Sept 4, 2018

Post by sekihiker »

Great report and pictures. Glad you found a good way up to Sphinx Lakes. That view from Brewer is amazing. I've enjoyed staying at South Lake which feels way out there. So do the lakes on the other side of Longley Pass.
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

@oleander -- I don't bring a separate fry pan. Rather, I steam veggies in my cook pot (Evernew Titanium 1.3L) with 1/4 inch water. I then transfer the veggies to a separate plastic bowl while I cook soup. It's a pretty basic setup. Overall, I've become a strong proponent for bringing fresh produce on backpacking trips. Not only does it taste great, but the extra weight incentivizes me to eat everything so my pack gets lighter.

PS -- @oleander Your 17-day Sierra trek sounds amazing. Did you post a TR? I couldn't find one in the forum history. I'd love to read it.
sierrapam
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by sierrapam »

Thanks, Flamingo, for such a detailed trip report of the Sphinx Lakes Loop over Longley Pass. I'm certain that your descriptions of the possible routes to avoid the nasty bushwhacking section along Sphinx Creek will be very helpful to me on my solo trip through that area this coming August. That section, along with the likelihood of a significant cornice on Longley Pass are my main concerns. Thanks again and if you have any other tips, feel free to pass them along! Pam
Sierra Pam
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

I'm getting old. I just read this again, thinking it was for the first time. It was even better the second time around.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

Great loop and trip report. I am surprised that you saw no people on a pre-Labor Day excursion.