TR: Three Kings Traverse, July 28 - August 7, 2018

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Three Kings Traverse, July 28 - August 7, 2018

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Three Kings Traverse, July 28 - August 7, 2018

Post by sparky »

cgundersen wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:04 am Wow, what a trip! I second giantbrookie's comment about a cool route: the varied terrain and vegetation are amazing. And, the owl photo is my favorite. In 40+ years, I've seen one owl, one rattler and one porcupine in the Sierra. I don't need to see any more rattlers and the fact you saw them above 7000 ft has me a bit concerned. I've tended to regard 7000 as about their cutoff elevation. Well, maybe 8K is the new normal? I'll be keen to see what you guys manage next year; I'm usually happy I get everything loaded for a trip out of LA, and the logistics from NY have to be several-fold more complex. Cameron
Me and my wife several years ago drove into Sequoia from home after work. We came into the gate at about 1:30 AM, and slowly drove up the winding road towards Lodgepole.
As we approached one of the hairpin turns, there was a boulder with a baby fox? sitting on it at the hairpin. I stopped the car, and the fox? just sat there looking at us seemingly curious. It was rather cute, but we moved on. Not long after, a very large owl flew up and over the windshield. And then a few minutes after that, a bear was meandering down the center of the road. I honked and it scurried into the bushes.

That was my one owl encounter in the sierra.