South Lake in the wind

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: South Lake in the wind

Post by longri »

SSSdave wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:13 pmFor longer trips one should be gear prepared for whatever nature throws at us.

Well, yeah. Be prepared. But that's a kind of punt on the question. Sometimes knowing the forecast can be quite valuable in making intra-trip decisions.

I suppose a satellite phone and a willing person on the other end to read the forecast verbally would be one way to do it. But I wish there were a simpler way.

Do weather radios still exist?
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

longri wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:01 am
Do weather radios still exist?
[/quote]
Yes, they do. Battery powered and/or hand cranked. But they tend to be big and bulky so backpackers probably don't want to carry them. More suitable for an emergency kit at home.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

I was just over half way through an 18 day trip when I went over Italy Pass on September 11, into Granite Park. The wind was fairly high up at the pass, but nothing compared to what I got that night in Granite Park. I spent the entire night trying to hold my tarp together in the worst wind conditions I have ever experienced while backpacking. With no sleep, I packed up that morning and headed out at sunrise down to MTR where I got some food from the buckets and a respite from the wind. I heard some people talk about the wind at Marie Lake the night of the 13th, and had to chuckle at the gentle breezes that night compared to Granite Park. No, I did not enjoy Granite Park. P.S. it was literally freezing too with frozen over ponds and ice in my water bottle.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

Well the forecast sure looks good right now. Wish I were there.

Here's my under 160 character text with the forecast for the High Sierra:
Th:S F:S Sa:S Su:S M:S Tu:S W:S Wnd<15 all week
Weak ridge, no precip expected, wind to return next Sun

It's easy to do when the weather is so consistent.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

I just came out yesterday at Taboose. It was just as windy yesterday as it was a week ago when I went in. The winds were not as bad when you got away from that Taboose corridor but still breezy all day... but the crest areas were crazy day and night.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien