next week unsettled weather

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

next week unsettled weather

Post by SSSdave »

Reno NWS now indicating the following week is likely to have unsettled weather with at least some precipitation. Front from low circulation now off Southern California will bring wind/clouds and could bring a few showers to north as early as Saturday. Change from previous forecasts is that a high is no longer likely to build back in and instead the jetstream will keep us in a troughy pattern.

Thus anyone with backpacking plans for this following week, this could be our first bout of weather for the 2018/2019 rainy season so take note.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: next week unsettled weather

Post by freestone »

@SSSdave One model is showing and interesting scenario for next Monday as seen in the forecast image below. Ex hurricane Rosa is moving toward SoCal and another Pacific low is off the NorCal Coast. Chances are excellent that this will not happen but Rosa formed this morning and will move NW along the Baja coast according to the latest guidance so if that trend continues the odds for bad weather will increase (along with some SoCal surf too!)

Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Yes, have been watching the weather forecasts too, two different scenario's, hopefully the one with some weather come to fruition, so I can finally go up to do some photography. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
gbrown09
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by gbrown09 »

Anyone have recommendations for good weather resources? I've been using the NWS and mammothweather.com
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Anyone have recommendations for good weather resources? I've been using the NWS and mammothweather.com
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=7778

Also try windy.com :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org