TR: Roper's Sierra High Route - Dusy Basin to Red's Meadow

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
macpaulster
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

TR: Roper's Sierra High Route - Dusy Basin to Red's Meadow

Post by macpaulster »

This is a trip report for a section of Steve Roper's Sierra High Route, an off trail South to North Traverse of the Sierra Nevada. The report covers Chapters 2-3, from Dusy Basin, to Red's Meadow:

https://macpaulster.blogspot.com/2018/0 ... -dusy.html
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: TR: Roper's Sierra High Route - Dusy Basin to Red's Meadow

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Also in my 60's, I did the SHR in 2010, first solo from Twin Lakes to Reds Meadow, then the second leg with my husband, going in Piute Pass and out to Reds Meadow. Fishing was my husband's primary interest, so we actually took 11 days! A few days were only 3-mile days. We also seemed to miss the best route down to Brown Bear Lake, however we were in no hurry to get anywhere. We camped at Deer Lakes (and fished) and really liked that spot. From Mammoth Crest, he exited the George Lake trail and managed all the town stuff and got a motel room, as I walked out Reds Meadow. Next day he drove me to Cedar Grove where I walked back (solo) to my car at North Lake in 8 1/2 days. I went over Alpine Col instead of Snow Tongue, as I had done Snow Tongue a few years previous and ABSOLUTELY HATED it! I suspect the rigors of your trip had more to do with your imposed 7-day limit, rather than your age. Although we had to carry heavier packs with 11-days food, we felt no pressures to get anywhere- really reduced the stress. Anyway, thanks for the report- brought back memories. By the way, that section of the SHR also has some great fishing, which is a good excuse to slow things down. We caught fish about every night so got by with less food.

Can also relate to your "grandchild" story. When I got out at Mammoth, I found out that grandchild #8 had been born! Needless to say, when I finished the route 10 days later, I drove 2 days to see this new addition.
macpaulster
Topix Novice

Post by macpaulster »

WD, Thank you for sharing your experience, and congratulations on completing the SHR. I thought averaging 10-12 miles a day would be relatively easy, but it really wasn't. I needed to keep moving all the time to complete the route in 7 days. I'm definitely slower as I've gotten older, and the technical stuff is much harder on the older legs and knees. Still, I'm grateful I can still do this kind of hiking, it's truly inspirational to be on such a beautiful, and remote route. I guess I'm not the only one who has tackled this alone! 8 grandchildren? Wow!
tie
Topix Regular

Post by tie »

Amazing trip report, thank you. I liked all the details on the passes, the lakes, even the small details photos (like the mushroom). You put the report together quickly, too.

I mean, you're kind of a wimp, though. Who's afraid of cold underwear? :)
SweetSierra
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by SweetSierra »

Thanks macpaulster for your trip report. I loved the description and the photos. I did much of the same trip (minus snow tongue pass) on two different trips ( a group of 4 of us), and have been over Shout of Relief twice from the north and south. In your photo of Feather Pass from the lake before the bench, you mentioned going up the reddish slash. I remember seeing that and thinking that looked like the way. Instead, we tried to follow Roper's instructions and went left of the reddish area into very steep talus blocks. I enjoyed your photos of your route up to that last bench--it looks much better than they way we went.

Puppet Pass looked scary from the top but turned out to be easier than I thought once we veered to the right over talus to a wall which is then an easy descent. The descent from White Bear Pass didn't pose difficulty--we dropped down on dirt to the right of the cliffs until the grade eased. I remember the acres of talus after that and having to move slowly. We camped high to the right of Brown Bear Lake and found the trail you mentioned which led to Lake Italy. That is such a beautiful traverse to White Bear Pass from there. The deer lakes are beautiful as well! Reading your report, it seemed part of the difficulty at least was the time constraint you were under. As you say, tiring. But an incredible accomplishment. Thanks again.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

macpaulster.blogspot.com wrote:Pristine Lake, but unfortunately, some idiot has gotten some "Camp Suds" in the lake...

Foam in lakes can also be due to other causes, either those that are completely natural or side-effects of other (non-soap related) human actions.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Post by SweetSierra »

Longri, someone on a trip this summer reminded me of the same (not necessarily soap-caused bubbles). I saw what looked like suds in a fast-flowing creek in Wright Lakes Basin. My impression is that area doesn't get a lot of use (because it's off trail, though fairly close to the Shepherd Pass trail) and I was disheartened to see it. Glad to be reminded that it could have a natural cause.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

I'm not sure but I would imagine that if you poured some Campsuds into a lake that any foam that resulted would not persist for very long. My guess is that for stable foam you'd have to add a lot of soap relative to the lake volume. Or there would have to be a continual source running into the lake.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Foam in lakes and streams is quite common and quite natural.
cslaght
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by cslaght »

Great TR! And hey, who needs coffee with frosted underwear? *WHEW*
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles